What is occult, the occult?

Feb 13, 1995 03:42 PM
by Keith Price

My dictionary says: "1.  Of pertaining to, dealing with, or
knowledgeable in supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.
2.  Beyond the realm of human human comprehension; mysterious;
inscrutable 3.  Available only to the initiate; not divulged;
secret occult lore 4.  Rare.  Hidden from view; concealed."

When talking about sychronicity being acausal to the senses, but
caual on the occult planes, we begin to speculate or claim to
have knowledge or at least an intuition of something
supernatural.  We are on very dangerous ground here it would seem
as much of the "truth" accepted for centuries now appears as
pretty silly, such as the stars circle the earth attached to a
globe that is moved by angels etc.

In we claim to be an initiate, we had better be able to back it
up, but that is the one thing the inititiate can't do - go
public! This is a very convenient catch-22.  Those that know,
don't say, at least they don't say enough.

I like Bing Escudero's use of the 4th meaning, that occult is not
supernatural, but hidden.  What is more hidden than consciousness
from consciousness.  I know my own thoughts briefly, but they
slip by often of their own free will and slip into my
unconsciousness.  I can never know your thoughts, feelings,
sensations or intuitions except as I get the second hand from you
through communication - words, art, expressions etc.

We are paradoxically imprisoned and released by our local
personal consciousness.  We are imprisoned from our true
universal self or Atma, monad, etc., but get the only release we
can into this limited mesocosm between the macrocosm and
microcosm.  Of course, many have had glimpses of the larger
consciousness through meditation and our various paths.

Yes, as Alan Blain pointed out many posts back concerning the
theosophical schemes of evolution, it can seem like a long
needlessly painful trip to those in it, but what of those above ?

It seems like the gnostics and even the fundamentalists may have
something on us here.  Original sin, may not stand up to close
scrutiny, but it does provide motivation for seeking "salvation".
The gnostic fall also gives a justification that spirit was
seduced into matter, and provides gnosis as a "salvation".  Karma
appears fair, and just and reasonable and even scientific, but a
little cold.  Why was the first chord ever struck, the string
pulled, the big banged?

Namste

Keith Price