Re: Patience Sweet

Dec 29, 1994 12:11 PM
by Dara Eklund

William to Nicholas:

>Thanks for your follow-up.  I must confess that it left me somewhat
>puzzled and distraught.  Intellectually I can grasp and accept what
>you say:
>
>> Briefly then, Theosophy and Buddhism both teach that the prime evil
>> is selfishness or a sense of separateness.  Thus our normal
>> attitude to the negatives is already one of repulsion.  How many on
>> this net can stomach even the written (not to mention verbal or
>> personal) "through a glass darkly" barks and snarls with
>> equanimity, much less embrace them? But as Je Rinpoche said,
>> patience is the supreme *armor*.  Paradoxically, if one's attitude
>> is truly accepting, even welcoming of life's horrors, that stance,
>> in itself, is protective and soothing.  Of course the foundation of
>> this bearing must be built up lovingly, carefully and wisely.
>> Which is what the words mean "*in every way familiarize yourself*
>> with the armor of patience supreme".
>
>This morning (after a fitful night), I can verbalize my distress.
>What is the middle path?  For those for whom Je Rinpoche's admonition
>is an unattainable goal at the moment (today, the next year??), what
>is the solution?  What is the middle path?  "The foundation...must be
>built up lovingly, carefully and wisely."  As I look at the world and
>as I look within I fear that what I see as the functioning middle
>path for dealing with suffering is drugs, alcohol, abusive behavior,
>depression.  What would Je Rinpoche say to the vast unhappy masses
>who as yet are unprepared to put on the "armor of patience supreme?"

William,

Sorry those clumsy words upset you.  But fear not; Theosophy &
Buddhism are ancient & reliable ways to replace suffering with
firstly, forbearance, then contentment and finally Love-Wisdom or
Theo-sophia.

The middle path is simply starting from where you are, after
saturating yourself, by steady pondering, with the goal, the
stages of the path, and you true nature.  The extremes to be
avoided are -- giving up before starting and thinking this path
is a broad & easy one.

Being a bookish chap myself, I find scriptures very helpful.
Consider these two by the Dalai Lama.  1) THE PATH TO
ENLIGHTENMENT, Snow Lion pubs.  and 2) THE WAY TO FREEDOM,
HarperSanFrancisco.  The latter is simple yet comprehensive.

As for something helpful right now -- does it make sense to you
that whatever the solution is -- it lies within each of our
hearts? That is one of the bedrock premises of Theosophy.  Our
true nature is divine.  The compassion you feel for this drugged
& depressed world is an expression the your noble, true Self.
There are many ways to express more fully what we are, but your
discovery and opening of such doors is something I would be of
little help in.

So William -- there are no quick fixes, for individuals or
society, but there are practical, longterm solutions available.

Best,

Nicholas