Masters; 3 objects

Dec 17, 1994 03:46 AM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Murray,

     You might contact Dr. Santucci at Cal State Fullerton, or
just e-mail him for a copy.  As I recall, he did an academic
paper a few years ago tracing the development of the three
objects.  It wasn't complete--more could have been done, but I
believe it is the most complete account published.  The paper
should greatly assist you in your research.
     You might also look around the December 1878 period when
H.P.B. wanted to reformulate the T.S. around the World
Brotherhood idea.  As I recall, she was having problems with
getting Olcott to go along with the scheme.  Alice Cleather
touches on this in her historical account too.

Arthur Patterson,

     Belief in the Masters is not required for membership in any
of the Theosophical Organizations.  I've known members with
all kinds of ideas about them.  Some members idealize them into
mythical and magical beings.  Others speak of them as metaphors,
or psychological projections.  My own research on the subject
leads me to believe that Blavatsky's "Masters" were historical
figures, now long dead.  By their own statements, they were far
more human than many theosophists hold them to be.  For instance,
these Masters make it quite clear in their letters that their
primary mode of transportation was horseback--not astral
projection.  Their own accounts also make it clear that they ate,
slept, and one even smoked a pipe--i.e. they were not
disincarnate beings.  Though their letters exhibit a great deal
of learning, they were not omniscient.
     As for Gautama the Buddha, HPB's teachers expressed a very
high regard for him.  For Mohammed, they had a lessor regard.
Jesus, as a historical figure, they had a high regard for him
too.
     I feel that the "Master" that is within each of us is far
more relevant to our lives than HPB's teachers.  Her teachers
were her teachers.  Our only connection with them is though our
involvement with the theosophical movement.  Otherwise, they
belong to the past, they did their job and they are gone.  What
good would it do us to freeze them in time and "worship"  some
people whom we know little about?  There may very well be others
like them in the world today, but unless we are part of that
action, I believe our energy is better spent concentrating on the
needed spiritual work that is right in front of our noses.
     Sorry about the short message.  I'm still writing papers.

In haste,
Jerry Hejka-Ekins