mathematics and our ideal nature

Jan 24, 1994 06:50 AM
by eldon

John Mead:

I don't see anything that you wrote regarding mathematics in the world
as being in opposite to what I had written, they appear to agree.
Here's further discussion on the topic ...

----

Mathematics refers to eternal, timeless truths. In mathematics, we have
one of the highest forms of knowledge. Mathematics does not change over
time, although, like the Mystery Teachings, our understanding of it goes
from one level to the next, never discarding what has gone before, but
rather taking on deeper and deeper levels of meaning.

When we look at the *manifest world,* we find that everything takes on
form, shape, and movement according to certain mathematical laws. A soap
bubble approximates a sphere, a certain sea shell approximates a spiral,
the branching of a tree follows a certain fractal pattern. Everywhere,
we see life patterned after mathematics.

We could call mathematics an abstract ideal, because it represents
something that is looked up to by life, something that is independent
of any particular instances of itself, something that is archetypal
rather than prototypal. It is, in fact, an *unmanifest* principle of
consciousness.

Looking at the manifest world--any particular globe or plane of
being--we find that everything attempts to follow, in its own
imperfect sort of way, certain mathematics. Mathematics, then, is an
example of an Ideal, and exists at part of our nineth principle of
consciousness.

Consider a sphere. In itself, it exists nowhere, e.g. it is unmanifest.
It is pure, perfect, unchanging, beyond time. But it is in relation to
the manifest world. It is an ideal that certain physical objects strive
after.

Let us consider the ten principles, which all together make up the
complete nature of a being. The lower seven are manifest, and represent
the taking on of existence in a particular form or formless world. The
highest three are unmanifest, and represent our essential nature and
consciousness, apart from our being in existence.

The eighth principle, the Auric Egg, broods over the lower seven, and
contains the dynamically changing, ever-timely nature of our beingness.
It is our storehouse of karma, and what we have actually made ourselves,
through our evolution, to this point in time. Because it is subject to
continual change, it is not the home of mathematics.

The ninth principle, Swabhava, is timeless, it is that part of ourselves
that broods over what we have made ourselves, and is always pushing us
onwards. It is the home of the timeless ideals, and is never attained,
but is perfect in its own way. There is a part of ourselves that
consists of this type of consciousness, and we always are in touch with
it. It is in relation to the manifest world, and would be the home of
mathematics.

The tenth principle, Paramatman, is completely unconditioned, it is
not in relation to the manifest world in any manner. It is pureness,
and is not an ideal to anything. There is nothing from it that applies
to existence nor time. It is beyond mathematics, since nothing is or
can be patterned after it.

Looking at a material object, we see that certain mathematical
principles apply to it. When we say that the mathematics breaks down
after a certain point, this is not saying that the mathematics no longer
works. We are rather saying that due to the imperfection of the object,
it's approximation of some ideal begins to fail, after a certain point.

All worlds, all forms of existence, contain imperfection, and give
less-than-perfect expression to the life within. It is the nature of
existence, of manifestation, and happens on any plane or globe, however
high that plane or globe might be.

Any plane that we can exist on contains that imperfection. Such a plane
is composed of living beings expressing itself through matter, and that
matter is subject to various constraints by the indwelling life. The
qualities and behavior of the matter are imposed on or given to it.

This includes the dimensionality of the matter, the ability of the
matter to move in different directions. Our matter moves, for the most
part, in three dimensions, because it both is constrained to and
*chooses* to do so. It takes exceptional circumstances, or the occult
sciences, to change this choice.

Space itself is pure, unconditioned, and like mathematics, is in
relation to the manifest world, but too perfect to itself exist in any
manner. In itself, it is not fixed, and *we take our space with us*.

In a sense, we are space, or rather a locality in space, with a focus
and an extent, and it goes with us, it goes to where we are or where we
project our consciousness. It is not as much that the space itself is
moving, because it has no position. Rather, it takes on position as we
come into manifestation at a particular place in a particular world.

We do not see our own, personal space, so much as we are continually
aware of, and identical with it. All we outwardly experience of it is
the cloud of living energy, the aura or visible radience of our
entirely invisible and immaterial Auric Egg.

It is not that we take our space with us, and move it from one physical
location to another, as that our personal space is without position, and
comes into manifestation or outer expression of itself in one place,
then in the next place.

With mathematics, space, and our personal uniqueness, we have timeless,
eternal, purely abstract aspects of life that act as eternal ideals,
that drive us in life to grow, to change, to seek further existence and
change. In them, we are perfect, but seek to express this perfection
in the world, which expresses itself as a hunger to always be moving
forward, to always be seeking to better express ourselves, to become
our true natures.

In Swabhava, we are already that perfect version of ourselves, and
being beyond time, we have always been so, and will always be so. But
when it clothes itself in time, then in manifestation, it takes on
imperfection, and that imperfection is driven throughout eternity to
achieve what it has lost.

In the Auric Egg, we have the relative perfection of the moment, and
in the lower seven principles, we have the existence that we have taken
on in this or some other world. We are imperfect in that being, and
go through life seeking that perfection that we have lost, but can,
at any moment, recall that the missing perfection has never been lost,
and is at the very core of our being!

That missing perfection is just as much a principle of our consciousness
as the body that we are using at this moment in time! And it is part of
our consciousness. We are only kept from it by our unwillingness to give
it our attention! Let us look deep within and realize our absolute
perfection, and feel the grand sense of peace that is part of the very
fabric of our being!

                   Eldon Tucker (eldon@netcom.com)