Advertising the list?

Sep 02, 1993 09:56 PM
by Donald J. Degracia

Hi everyone!

I would like to get everyone's opinion about something, and especially
John's:

Should we advertise the Theos-L discussion list?

What I was thinking about doing was writting up a short announcement
in the form of a text file about the list and blasting it off into
cyberspace. I know of a number of occult BBSes around the country where
I could post the announcement. Not to mention posting a text file in
CompuServe as well.

Here's a sample announcement I wrote:

              Electronic Theosophy Study Group on INTERNET

                                 9/3/93

 This is an announcement that the Theosophical Society has entered
 the internet.  The Theosophical Society of America has recently
 established a mail list on the internet.

 This informal discussion list has been created to serve as an
 "Electronic Study Group" for the Theosophical Society in America.
 However, all Theosophists are welcome regardless of any
 formal membership status. We are here to serve Humanity,
 rather than any specific organization.

 To join (subscribe to) this list send an email message to the address:

                         listserv@char.vnet.net

 and have the message say:

                      subscribe Theos-L <your name>

 Alternatively, if you would like further information about this list
 without actually joining the list contact either of the below addresses
 for more information:

 jem@char.vnet.net
 71331.3517@compuserve.com

 So, that's the announcement.

 What do you all think? Should we advertise like this?
 Can anyone think of pros or cons about doing this?

 Best to you all!

 Don