Re: Pogroms Report

Dec 06, 1999 09:01 PM
by ambain

Dear Grigor,

Although technically "off topic" for theos-l may I thank you for this
post.  I have long felt an affinity (albeit tenuous) with the small
remnant Church of the East with its Aramaic (Syriac) traditions going
way back to Antioch, Nisibis, and the Mosul Valley.

It serves as a timely reminder to us all that religious fanaticism is a
potentially and often actual dangerous risk.  While it has not yet
happened on such a scale to theosophists (though many in Nazi Germany
went to the camps) there is no doubt that "official" theosophical
dogmatism has led to the persecution of many members of theosophical
societies who dared to try to put into practice the much-vaunted
"freedom of expression" that the official Adyar TS (for one) claims to
support.  As most of the older inhabitants of this list know, it
happened to me, as also to some of them.

Alan

http://www.soft.net.uk/ambain/