Some Responses

Nov 18, 1999 01:43 PM
by Gerald Schueler

>>It is reasoned that there must be a truth, one truth.  Why?  It is
logical, fits experience, accounts for the universal order we can see.>>

Actually, Mahayana Buddhism postulates two truths. According to
the Doctrine of Two Truths, there is an absolute truth that cannot
be put into words (esoteric) and a relative truth that can be put
into words (exoteric).  This is just to confuse Randy a bit more.

>> If theosophy, like any other useful system of thought, has
anything of value to say, the  essential  elements must be able
to be clearly articulated with common language and the proofs
made obvious.  My feeling is that if you are

saying that theosophy cannot do this then I am saying it
has nothing of value to offer other than mental calisthenics.>>

You make a good point, but the articulation of Theosophy has
already been done ad nauseum. Check out Quest or TUP.

<< Please indulge me and describe as best you can one
thought, principle, tenet, whatever you might call it, that you
have gleaned from theosophy that you would consider to be
truth, or real close to it.  You can even use those

words you don't think I can understand.  Thanks, Randy>>

Although directed to JRC, I can say that I have many.
Probably the overall best is the teaching about the cosmic
planes given in the Secret Doctrine.  Why? Because it
gives verbal/mental expression to experiences that I have
that are difficult to explain otherwise.

Randy, as a newbie you need to understand that not all
Theosophists agree on just what Theosophy teaches us.
For example, I disagree with Dallas on a number of
issues.  Dallas writes:

<<Now that pretty much encompasses all that Theosophy deals with.

The fundamental add-on to what we already know is the idea that

WE CANNOT GET AWAY WITH EVIL THINKING, FEELING
 AND DOING.  There is no "Power" which serves to conceal the
selfish attitudes that we can generate.  Evil when simply described
is breaking of nature's laws.  This "breaking" can be through
ignorance, or deliberately (which is a greater degree of EVIL).>>

which shows that he is still working out his shadow
problems and is caught up in the wonders of good
and evil that to me are all in the human mind. I am
a Theosophist, and yet I disagree with the entire
thrust of what Dallas says in the above quote. Its
no wonder that you can become confused when
long-time Theosophists can't even agree. For
example, I would challenge Dallas to find me one
of nature's laws that can be "broken."  If he can
do so, then I would have to question what good
any such "law" is. In my book, nature's laws cannot
ever be broken but rather they have either beneficial
or nasty repercussions to them.  The primary natural
law is to do "this" and good things will happen
while to do "that" and bad things will happen. Its
called the law of karma and it cannot be broken,
but it can be transcended.

The fact that we all think differently is, I think , the
real power and beauty of Theosophy.

Jerry S.