RE: Desire

Nov 13, 1999 03:26 AM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Nov 11

As to "Desire."
Let us consider together some thoughts that this brings to mind:
What would you say to these ?

There are desires high, noble and universal -- such as
compassion, love and the benefits that can be extended by any
individual to others who are needy in his area.  And, there are
desires that are base, selfish, isolationist, and acts done for
ones' own temporarily and very selfish self.

The first class have been named generally the virtues and their
reasons and causes are well discussed in Buddhism.  THE VOICE OF
THE SILENCE is an excellent recap of those and their recommended
practice among students of Theosophy who desire to adopt and
follow "the Path."

The second class are called the vices and few make the time to
analyze and carry any one of them into the ultimate resolution of
their practice, not only as regards themselves, but also as
regards their application to others.  They belong in the forest
of passions where territorial limits are assumed and enforced,
and where the damage to life and limb is pandemic.

The kind of excuses that one reads so frequently for the second
class, called "enlightened selfishness" are generally sickening
to any honest and sincere human.  They represent a debasement of
the mental faculty.

One need only look more closely around us to discover the
toleration and latitude that Nature affords us, and as to the
nature of our own bodies and the tolerance that exists between
dissimilar cells that group to form cooperative structures --  to
realize that the law of brotherhood and cooperative interaction
far exceeds the laws of ill-health, disease and the permission of
the continuation of habits that end in the destruction of our
bodies.

We could not live a minute as physical humans without this vast
cooperative being always active in us and the Quadrillions of
cells and uncountable molecules and atoms that aggregate around
the SINGLE MINUTE "SELF" (the MONAD) that is our link to the
UNIVERSE as a SPIRITUAL BEING.  This is a fact that is often
overlooked in our questing and reasonings.  When the inner
cooperative force ends, the body dies.  Resting and sleep are
evidence of the restorative process that our bodies require to
balance the flow of the life force (Prana / Jiva) through them.

What is that SELF ?  What is the TRUE WE ?  What is the cause for
our present existence, and where are we leading this
agglomeration, and desiring to go with it ?

As I see it -- This is what Theosophy is engaged in discovering
and it uses the vast range of scientific endeavour, as well as
the records of the occult and esoteric Science to do this.  Who
do this?  We all are engaged in some aspect or another of this
search and our lives epitomize in fact this work that we do even
when we are unconscious of it.

And that is my opinion, and it is based on my study of theosophy.

Best wishes to all,

Dallas

Dallas
dalval@nwc.net=A0

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D