Re Space

Oct 07, 1999 02:56 AM
by hesse600

hi all,
I have not left out everything in this mail, that I might
have, because otherwise understanding it would get
difficult, in my mind.

Katinka:
> >>However much relativity claims that space is a finite
> thing, I still have trouble believing and understanding it. >>
Jerry:
> Basically, everything material is limited.

Katinka:
> >>It reminds me of the very simple explanation why there is
> not a number which is the greatest. say that 100000 is the
> highest number, one can always add one to it. >>

Jerry:
> Yes, numbers are infinite, but numbers are not material
> objects.

Katinka:
I was trying to make an analogy from numbers to space. My
thought was not that there is an infinite amount of matter.

> >>Even with space being curved (which seems to be how it is
> explained) I do not see how beyond the curve there isn't
> space, even if it is 'empty' space. >>

Jerry:
> I suspect that beyond our curved space, lies the curved
> space of countless other universes.

Katinka:
And what connects these would be space in my idea.

Jerry:
> >>Also: the astral seems to me to be linked to the physical.
> One does not exist without the other.>>

> Why do you think that?  The physcial plane is said to
> be an expression or manifestation of the astral, and
> so yes, you can have astral things without any physical
> counterpart. But you can't have anything physical
> without its astral counterpart.

Katinka:
Yes, one can have astral *things* without their physical
counterpart (I put that a bit unnuancedly) , but things are
limited. My point was that space is (even in the physical
sense) infinite, according to my idea's. Though perhaps it
is meaningless to talk about physical space. Space is
perhaps something abstract, like time, that we can only
measure when cutting it up into compartments, or comparing
objects IN SPACE to each other.

Katinka:
> >> Spirit without matter
> is an abstraction, according to theosophy (as in HPB and
> the Mahatma's). So if physical space is finite, how can
> spiritual space be infinite?>>

Jerry:
> Because physical space is a manifestation of
> spiritual space.
This discussion is leading me to the thought that there is
only one space, which then would pervade all else.

Jerry:
> Matter and energy are two aspects of the same thing.

Katinka:
the point being?

Jerry:
> We don't really know if "empty" space goes on forever.
> But we do know that the concept of empty space is
> meaningless and that space, per se, is not empty at all.

interesting discussion :-)

Katinka
NHL Leeuwarden
hesse600@tem.nhl.nl