To pay or not to pay?

Sep 28, 1999 03:44 PM
by Alan

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF0A0B.61113960

As the subject came up, W.Q.Judge wrote of the TS in 1894:

"... our poverty and lack of earthly applause and reward have saved us =
from cranks and sectarians who, subliminally attracted by wealth, would =
prate of doctrine and duty while they stood guard over the cash-box..  =
In the strength of our ideal and devotion is our power, and that work =
which is done without the blighting influence of a debit and credit =
account goes further and lasts longer than any which is given as return =
for a money consideration."

It didn't stay that way, and TS members are - surprise! - more often =
than not regarded as the kinds of sectarians that he described.

Alan

Alan@ambain.softnet.co.uk
http://www.soft.net.uk/ambain/

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01BF0A0B.61113960

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>As the subject came up, W.Q.Judge wrote of the TS in 1894:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"... our poverty and lack of earthly applause and reward have saved =
us from=20
cranks and sectarians who, subliminally attracted by wealth, would prate =
of=20
doctrine and duty while they stood guard over the cash-box..&nbsp; In =
the=20
strength of our ideal and devotion is our power, and that work which is =
done=20
without the blighting influence of a debit and credit account goes =
further and=20
lasts longer than any which is given as return for a money =
consideration."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It didn't stay that way, and TS members are - surprise! - more =
often than=20
not regarded as the kinds of sectarians that he described.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Alan</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A=20