Re: theos-l digest: September 22, 1999

Sep 24, 1999 02:45 PM
by Alan

----- Original Message -----
> From: <kymsmith@micron.net>
> Date: Friday, September 24, 1999 5:11 PM
> Subject: Re: theos-l digest: September 22, 1999

> Hey, does anyone know anyone is Idaho (a tiny state in America with a
big
> mouth) who is well versed enough in Theosophy who could, and may be
willing
> to, address a university class on the subject?  The class is about
"The End
> of the World" - concentrating on Revelations and the Book of Daniel.

I would gladly do this and jin the other big mouths in Idaho (Love 'ya
Kym) especially as I live at the end of the world.  Trouble is, it isn't
in Idaho.

> All
> of the other speakers we have had are linear Christians who take the
> concept of the "Rapture" as literal fact; and no one in the class is
> familiar with any kind of Eastern thought on the subject of "the end
of the
> world."  For most of these students, "heaven," and "hell" and are the
only
> "places" one goes after death or after the "Jesus descends on a cloud"
> event.

Hurrumph, as I often say.  These students need some education. [Example
of wit].  There is no such place as "heaven" in the Bible, only in the
translations.  Both Hebrew and Greek mention "the heavens" in the
plural, but there does not appear to be a concept of "heaven" as a
singular place.  Likewise "hell."  There is a choice here between
Gehenna (Heb. name of a horrid place) or Hades (Greek for underworld,
understood by some [me especially] as being right here.  Our Earth is
seen as the lowest world in the chain, and thus "under" or "below" all
the others.  The activities of the militias in East Timor right now, the
Serbian slaughterers in Kosovo, and various Africans with machetes all
fit very well with the classic descriptions of hell.

I doubt that Jesus will descend on a cloud.  Let's face it, he is
supposed to have left in one, which is not usually regarded as
auspicious in modern usage.

> The professor found out that I was familiar with theosophy/Theosophy
and
> wants me to bring in a speaker or speak myself.  I am not enough of an
> enlighted being yet who will be able to resist "Kym's philosopy of
> theosophy/Theosophy," so I'm trying to locate someone else to 'spread
the
> word.'   Anyway, any advice or guidance?

> Give 'em Kyms' philosophy of t/T - thye sound as though they need it.
>
> I'll try not to take silence regarding my post as personal. . ..
>

> Kym
>
> P.S.  Hi, Alan the Evil.

Hehehehehehehehehehehe! [Evil laughter]

Alan :0)