Re: theos-l digest: September 22, 1999

Sep 24, 1999 02:08 PM
by Hazarapet

In a message dated 9/24/99 11:38:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
kymsmith@micron.net writes:

>  Then again, one could turn it around and say that the high suicide of
>  married women simply means they failed the "test" of character.
>
>  In my opinion, there is tad bit of sexism and/or ignorance in this
>  particular passage of the "Caucasus."

Maybe the only thing statistics finds is more statistics.  Maybe its marriage
in modern world that isn' t what it used to be.  In old country, it involves
almost whole village as in-laws, cousins, and relatives of one degree or
another.  And they have saying for women too.  I never got to hear it,
though.  You know when someone has said it, though.  Accusing looks by the
women generally in the men's direction is sign it was said.  But basically,
such sayings mean you can't choose your life circumstances, so learn from it,
and that a single day out of your life reveals much about your life.  How you
deal with the day is good clue to how'll you'll spend your life.  The typical
day is a microcosm of a life.  A typical day is your raw material with both
circumstantial limits and possibilities.

Grigor

"A girl becomes a woman by being blamed, pained, and drained without other
women to abide with her and guide her husband."