Re: apostles, TS,problems

Sep 21, 1999 06:21 PM
by Alan

----- Original Message -----
> From: Bart Lidofsky <bartl@sprynet.com>
> Date: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 2:08 AM
> Subject: Re: apostles, TS,problems

> Check out the roots of the word "apostle". It does NOT mean "student"
> in any sense.
>
> Bart Lidofsky

Correct.  It derives from the Hebrew/Aramaic "Shaliach" or
plenipotentiary.  In ancient times, an important person might literally
send someone in his or her name to act on his or her behalf.  This was a
heavy responsibility, for the person so sent was considered to be acting
in every respect *as if* they were the sender in person, and the sender
of the apostle/shaliach would be required to honour the "apostle's"
decisions, even if the apostle got it wrong.  If, as claimed, Jesus said
he was acting in his father's (God's) name, then he was making a pretty
big -and dangerous - claim.  How do you collect from God? :0)

I think though Bart, that Katinka was thinking of *disciples* rather
than apostles.  Paul's apostleship (?) was regarded as resting on
doubtful foundations by many (esp. in the Jerusalem Church).  See my
"The Nazarenes" (Free download from my website).

Ho hum.

Hi Kym!

Alan

Alan@ambain.softnet.co.uk