Lock-step mentality

Sep 14, 1999 08:47 PM
by kymsmith

JRC wrote:

>Fact is, Microsoft pays *way* more attention to the world around itself than
>the TS does. Gates makes himself accessible to both employees as well as the
>general public, and voluntarily and purposefully seeks to *LEARN* from his
>critics, not shut their mouths. The result is a company full of people
>filled with almost a religious fervor, deeply committed to objective
>results, producing software used on 90% of the world's PC's, and continuing
>to survive in an industry that every year sees small companies become huge,
>and huge companies fail overnight.

Whoa!  I'll agree that Microsoft pays more attention to the world than the
TS, but that does not mean that Microsoft has "good" intentions nore does
it mean that Microsoft's way is to be emulated by those in the "spiritual
business."

Microsoft, as you say, has managed to dominate 90% of the world's PC's -
meaning, it's their way or no way.  There are many paths to the Divine; to
demand or manipulate people to do it your way, or to limit ways, is not
admirable.

Nor do I agree that approaching Theosophy with a "religious fervor" (as
Microsoft's employees do) is a wise philosophy.  Too much committment to
something can make one blind and unintentionally cruel.  One walks a fine
line between "religious fervor" and self-righteousness.

Microsoft may have succeeded in securing material wealth, pushing others
out of business, and steering people like sheep in the computer field, but
they would make lousy spiritual workers.  Spiritual "success" cannot
necessarily be counted in numbers - for if 90% of the whole world thinks
"wrongly" about issues of Compassion and spirituality, it cannot be hailed
as a "success."

Microsoft's philosophy is good for Microsoft; but not necessarily for
Apple.  It is the same with Theosophy.

Kym