quatrains translated in Isis Unveiled/ What is the source?

Jun 21, 1999 04:12 AM
by Richard Caruana

Hello my name is
Richard Caruana
I have found a translation of an old french prophecy
author unknown.
Translation by
Madame Helena Petrovna Blavatsky
in a book titled
'ISIS UNVEILED'
obviously it is not Nostradamus because the year is wrong.(1453)
Can you help me source who the originator of these quatrains
belongs to?

kindest regards
Richard
caruanar@acay.com.au
bellow is a facsimile of the pages from 'ISIS UNVEILED'

page 260

THE VEIL OF ISIS.

skepticism that the former will prevail over the latter. Mr. Proctor, in
his professional capacity, is like the uncharitable person of the Sermon on
the Mount, who is ever ready to attract public attention to the mote in his
despised neighbor's eye, and overlook the beam in his own. Were we to
record the failures and ridiculous blunders of astronomers, we are afraid
they would outnumber by far those of the astrologers. Present events fully
vindicate Nostradamus, who has been so much ridiculed by our skeptics. In
an old book of prophecies, published in the fifteenth century (an edition
of 1453), we read the following, among other astroiogical predictions:*

"In twice two hundred years, the Bear

The Crescent will assail;

But if the Cock and Bull unite,

The Bear will not prevail.

In twice ten years again-
Let Islam know and fear-
The Cross shall stand, the Crescent wane,

Dissolve, and disappear."

In just twice two hundred years from the date of that prophecy, we had the
Crimean war, during which the alliance of the Gallic Cock and English Bull
interfered with the political designs of the Russian Bear. In 1856 the war
was ended, and Turkev, or the Crescent, closely escaped destruction. In the
present year (1876) the most unexpected events of a political character
have just taken place, and twice ten years have elapsed since peace was
proclaimed. Everything seems to bid fair for a fulfilment of the old
prophecy; the future will tell whether the Moslem Crescent, which seems,
indeed, to be waning, will irrevocably "wane, dissolve, and disappear," as
the outcome of the present troubles.

In explaining away the heterodox facts which he appears to have encountered
in his pursuit of knowledge, Mr. Proctor is obliged more than once in his
work, to fall back upon these "curious coincidences." One of the most
curious of these is stated by him in a foot-note (page 301) as follows: "I
do not here dwell on the curious coincidence-if, indeed, Chaldean
astrologers had not discovered the ring of Saturn-that they showed the god
corresponding within a ring and triple.... Very moderate optical
knowledge-such, indeed, as we may fairly infer from the

* The library of a relative of the writer contains a copy of a French
edition of this unique work. The prophecies are given in the old French
language, and are very difficult for the student of modern French to
decipher. We give, therefore, an English version, which is said to be taken
from a book in the possession of a gentleman in Somersetshire, England.

	THE STRANGE PROPHECY OF NOSTRADAMUS.	261

presence of optical instruments among Assyrian remains-might have led to
the discovery of Saturnal rings and Jupiter's moons.... Bel, the Assyrian
Jupiter," he adds, "was represented sometimes with four startipped wings.
But it is possible that these are mere coincidences."

In short, Mr. Proctor's theory of coincidence becomes finally more
suggestive of miracle than the facts themselves. For coincidences our
friends the skeptics appear to have an unappeasable appetite. We have
brought sufficient testimony in the preceding chapter to show that the
ancients must have used as good optical instruments as we have now. Were
the instruments in possession of Nebuchadnezzar of such moderate power, and
the knowledge of his astronomers so very contemptible, when, according to
Rawlinson's reading of the tiles, the Birs-Nimrud, or temple of Borsippa,
had seven stages, symbolical of the concentric circles of the seven
spheres, each built of tiles and metals to correspond with the color of the
ruling planet of the sphere typified? Is it a coincidence again, that they
should have appropriated to each planet the color which our latest
telescopic discoveries show to be the real one?* Or is it again a
coincidence, that Plato should have indicated in the Timccus his knowledge
of the indestructibility of matter, of conservation of energy, and
correlation of forces? "The latest word of modern philosophy," says Jowett,
"is continuity and development, but to Plato this is the beginning and
foundation of science.""

The radical element of the oldest religions was essentially sabaistic; and
we maintain that their myths and allegories-if once correctly and
thoroughly interpreted, will dovetail with the most exact astronomical
notions of our day. We will say more; there is hardly a scientific law-
whether pertaining to physical astronomy or physical geography-that could
not be easily pointed out in the ingenious combinations of their fables.
They allegorised the most important as well as the most trifling causes of
the celestial motions; the nature of every phenomenon was personified; and
in the mythical biographies of the Olympic gods and goddesses, one well
acquainted with the latest principles of physics and chemistry can find
their causes, inter-agencies, and mutual relations embodied in the
deportment and course of action of the fickle deities. The atmospheric
electricity in its neutral and latent states is embodied usually in
demi-gods and goddesses, whose scene of action is more limited to earth and
who, in their occasional flights to the higher deific regions, display
their electric tempers always in strict proportion with the increase of
distance from the earth's surface: the weapons of Hercules and Thor were

*See Rav.linson, vol. xvii., pp. 30-32, Revised edition. t Jowett:
Introduction to "Tim~eus," "Dial. of Plato," vol. i., p. So9.

She mentions a year