Phone Scam - USA/Canada

Mar 24, 1999 03:34 AM
by M K Ramadoss

Here is a msg I just got.

mkr
=================

Below is a message about a phone scam.  I received it from a friend here
in Toronto.  Have no idea how widespread it may be.  Hermann

Hi everyone:     Got this from a friend recently.

> Subject: Phone Scam

This can happen at home and at work, everyone should be aware...I've
sent
this to all my friends last Friday night and I've already had 3 email me

and say that it's already happened to them.

I received a telephone call from an individual identifying himself as an

AT&T Service Technician that was running a test on our telephone lines.
He stated that to complete the test we should touch nine (9), zero (0),
pound sign (#) and hang up. Luckily, we were suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company we were informed that by pushing
90# you end up giving the individual that called you access to your
telephone
line and allows them to place a long distance telephone call, with the
charge appearing on your telephone bill.  We were further informed that
this scam has been originating from many of the local jails/prisons. I
have verified with UCB Telecomm that this actually happens.

I called GTE Security this morning and verified that this is definitely
possible and DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. It will give them access to
your phone line to make long distances calls, ANYWHERE!!!!

The GTE Security department told me to go ahead and share this
information with EVERYONE I KNOW!!!  Could you PLEASE pass this
on. If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you
are connected with, I encourage you to include this information.