Some quoations on Reincarnation and Devachan == Feb 2nd 1999

Feb 01, 1999 05:42 PM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck

Part 1.

		THE AREA WHERE REINCARNATION/REEMBODIMENT OCCURS

	All worlds...are subject to rebirth  again and again.
						BHAGAVAD GITA 60

	...every atom is alive and has the germ of self-consciousness.
OCEAN of THEOSOPHY  p. 62

	Both I [THE UNIVERSAL SPIRIT] and thou [Man] have passed through
many births, O Harasser of thy foes;  mine are known unto me, but
thou knowest
not of thine...For never to an evil place goeth one who doeth
good... Being thus born again, he comes in contact with the
knowledge which belonged to him in his former
body...[and]...striving with all his might, [he] obtaineth
perfection because of efforts continued through many births.
					BHAGAVAD GITA 31

	This immortal thinker [man]... having such vast powers and
possibilities, all his because of his intimate connection with
every secret part of Nature, from which he has been built up,
stands at the top of an immense and silent evolution.		OCEAN of
THEOSOPHY  60

		SPIRIT--THE PERCEIVER WITHIN ALL

	The Knower is never born, nor dies;  nor is it from anywhere,
nor did it become anything.  Unborn, eternal, immemorial, this
Ancient is not slain when the body is slain...this Self is hidden
in the heart of man...Understanding this great Lord, the Self,
bodiless in bodies, stable among the unstable, the wise man
cannot grieve.
						KATHA UPANISHAD 41

	The soul is the Perceiver;  is assuredly vision itself, pure and
simple, unmodified, and looks directly upon ideas.  For the sake
of the soul alone, the Universe exists.		YOGA SUTRAS of PATANJALI
24

		JUSTICE AND EQUITY RULE THE UNIVERSE -- KARMA

	Each man's life, the outcome of his former living is.  The
bygone wrongs bring forth sorrows and woes, the bygone right
breeds bliss.
				LIGHT of ASIA (Bk 8, p. 143)

		WHAT AND WHO IS "MAN," "SPIRIT," "LAW" ?

	Man is an immortal soul.  All nature is sentient.  Down to the
smallest atom, all is soul and spirit, ever evolving under the
rule of law, which is inherent in the whole.  Nature exists for
no other purpose than the soul's experience.		OCEAN of THEOSOPHY
p.  2

	"...this universe [is] for the experience and emancipation of
the soul, for the purpose of raising the entire mass of
manifested matter up to the stature, nature, and dignity of
conscious god-hood.  The great aim is to reach self-consciousness
by and through the perfecting after transformation of the whole
mass of matter as well as what we now call soul.  The aim for
present man is his initiation into complete knowledge.  As to the
whole mass of matter, the doctrine is that it will all be raised
to man's estate when man has gone further on himself.
				OCEAN of THEOSOPHY p. 62-3

	All the matter which the human Ego gathered to it   retains the
stamp or photographic impression of the human being, the matter
transmigrates to the lower level when given an animal impress by
the ego.
				OCEAN THEOSOPHY p. 68

		THE FIELD OF EVOLUTION AND EXPERIENCE

	We are not appearing for the first time when we come upon this
planet;  but have pursued a long, an immeasurable course of
activity and intelligent perception on other systems of globes.
				OCEAN of THEOSOPHY   p.  2-3

	Thou art THYSELF, the object of thy search.
           		VOICE OF THE SILENCE  p. 23-4

	Man is a spiritual being.  The Ego of each man is immortal,
reappearing clothed in bodies, on each occasion different, it
only appears to be mortal;  it always remains the substratum and
support for the personality acting upon the stage of life.
ECHOES  p.  8

	At every conceivable point in the Universe there are 'lives;'
nowhere can be found a spot that is dead;  and each 'life' is
forever hastening onward to higher evolution.			ECHOES  p.  9-10

	Reincarnations is the pilgrimage of our own nature...the end to
be reached is self-dependence with  perfect calmness and
clearness.							ECHOES  p.  32

	When a being dies, he emits, as it were, a mass of force or
energy, which goes to make up the new  personality when he shall
have reincarnated.  In this energy is found the summation of the
life just given up.			ECHOES  p.  36

	The life of man is held to be a pilgrimage... Starting from the
great ALL, radiating like a spark  from the central fire, he
gathers experience in all ages, under all rulers, civilizations
and customs,  ever engaged in a pilgrimage to the shrine from
which he came. He is now the ruler and now the slave;  to-day at
the pinnacle of wealth and power, to-morrow at the bottom  of the
ladder, perhaps in abject misery, but ever the same being.
ECHOES  p.  31

	The end to be reached is self-dependence with perfect calmness
and clearness ... (the) whole life  is a persistent pursuit of
the fast-moving soul, which, although appearing to stand still,
can outdistance the lightening.		ECHOES  p.  32-3

		RECOGNITION OF LOVED ONES ON REBIRTH

	...recognition cannot depend, in the spiritual and mental life,
on physical appearance...those who are like unto each other, and
love each other will be reincarnated together, whenever
conditions permit.  Recognition depends on inner sight, and not
on outward appearance.
						OCEAN of THEOSOPHY   p. 71-2

	When we come again, we do not take up the body of someone else,
nor another's deeds;  but, are like an actor who plays many
parts...the great life of the soul is a drama, and each new life
and rebirth, another act in which we assume another part.
OCEAN of THEOSOPHY  p. 74

	The friends and relatives which are life unto each other must
incarnate together until, by reason of differentiation of
character, they cannot undo the  law of attraction [and so]
remain in company.  Not unless and until they become different do
they  separate from each other.
					ECHOES  p. 45

	Those whom you help will help you in other lives.  The very
moment we come near to where they are, they at once extend
assistance...Thus the members of the  whole human family
reciprocally act on one another.	  						ECHOES. p. 45-6

		MIND IS RE-EMBODIED

	The powers of mind and the laws governing its motion, its
attachments, and its detachments show that its reembodiment must
be here...To permit the involved entity to transfer itself to
another scene before it had overcome all the causes drawing it
here and without having worked out its responsibilities to other
entities would be contrary to the powerful forces which
continually operate upon it.
					Ocean of Theosophy. p. 79

		ONE LIFE INADEQUATE FOR FULL EXPERIENCE

	One short human life gives no  grounds for the production of the
inner nature...The soul must be reborn until it has ceased to set
in motion the  cause of rebirth, after having developed character
up to its possible limit when every experience has been passed
through.
					Ocean of Theosophy  p. 81

	There is a vast range of powers latent in man, which may be
developed if opportunity be given.  Knowledge, infinite in scope
and diversity, lies before us.  We have high aspirations with no
time to reach up to their measure, while the passions and
desires, selfish motives and ambitions, war with us and among
themselves.  All these have to be tried,  conquered, used,
subdued.  One life is not enough for this.
					Ocean of Theosophy  p. 82-3

		SENSE OF IDENTITY

	Each feels he has an individuality of his own, a  personal
identity which bridges over gaps made by sleep, and  temporary
lesions in the brain.  This identity never breaks from beginning
to end of life in the normal person, and only the persistence and
eternal character of the soul will account for it.	Ocean of
Theosophy  p. 82

	Inherent ideas, common to the whole race, are due to
recollection of such ideas implanted in the human mind at the
very beginning of its evolutionary career by those Brothers and
sages who were perfected in former ages long before the
development of this globe began.
					Ocean of Theosophy  p. 87

	The images made in the "Astral Light" (an imponderable, tenuous
medium which inter-penetrates the entire globe, and in which the
acts and thoughts of every man are felt and impressed, to be
afterward reflected again) persist for centuries...upon returning
to earth-life we are affected for good or evil by the conduct,
the doctrine and the aspirations of preceding nations and men.
ECHOES  p.  5

	Since we are made up of a mass of lives, our thoughts and acts
affect those atoms or lives, and impress them with a dharma
[duty] of their own.					ECHOES  p.  40

	Each man is seen as a fashioner of the fate for his next
fleeting  earth personality...in his own  hand is the decree...No
one but ourselves punishes or rewards in this or any life.
ECHOES  p.  44 - 45

	The nature of each incarnation depends upon the balance as
struck of the merit and demerit of the previous life or
lives--upon the way the man has lived and thought; and this law
is inflexible and wholly just.
          				EPITOME  p.  23

	That which is known as 'you' is the result of one continuous
existence of an entity.  Your present body and your soul (or the
personality) are the results of a series of co-existence.  The
Individuality, or spirit, is the cause of the Soul, and
personality, or what is called 'you.'  You are the manifestation
of an entity and are the result of many appearances of that
entity upon the stage of action in various personalities.
W.Q.J. ARTICLES  Vol. II p. 452

		MEMORY AND REBIRTH

	Memory of a prior life does not prove we passed through that,
nor is non-remembering an objection.  We forget the greater part
of the events of the years and days of this life.  The entire
effect on the character is kept and made a part of ourselves.
The whole mass of detail is preserved in the inner man to be one
day fully brought back when we are perfected.  All are subject to
the limitations imposed on the Ego by the new brain in each life.
OCEAN of THEOSOPHY  p  76

	By living according to the dictates of the Soul, the brain may
at last be made porous to the Soul's recollections...We should be
very miserable if the deeds and scenes of our former lives were
not hidden from our view until by discipline we became able to
bear a knowledge of them.
						OCEAN of THEOSOPHY  p. 76

	FUNCTION OF THOSE WHO GRADUATE ON EARTH

	The most intelligent being in the universe, man, has
never...been without a friend, but has a line of "elder brothers"
who continually watch over the progress of the less progressed,
preserve the knowledge gained, and continually seek for
opportunities of drawing the developing intelligence of the race
to consider the great truths concerning the destiny of soul.
OCEAN of THEOSOPHY  p.  3

	The Elder Brothers of humanity are men who were perfected in
former periods of evolution ... when, out of the Great Unknown,
there came forth the visible universes (which)...are eternal in
their coming and going.  The object of these mighty waves is the
production of perfect Man, the evolution...after the struggle to
acquire piety, of the soul which consists in knowing God, and
injuring none, such a soul becomes all intelligence.   	OCEAN of
THEOSOPHY p. 6

	The course of evolution is the drama of the soul.  There are
beings in the universe whose intelligence is as much beyond ours,
as ours exceeds that of the black beetle;  and, who take an
active part in the government of the natural order of things.
OCEAN of THEOSOPHY  p.  2

	Nature intends us to use the matter which comes into our bodies
and astral body for the purpose among others, of benefiting the
matter by the impress it gets from association with the human
Ego...it retains the stamp or photographic impression of the
human being;  the matter transmigrates to the lower level when
given an animal impress by the Ego.								OCEAN of THEOSOPHY  p.
68

	The most exalted beings still in the flesh are known as Sages,
Rishis, Brothers, Masters.  The  process of evolution up to
reunion with the Divine is and includes successive elevation from
rank to rank of power and usefulness...the process of spiritual
development (includes)...entire eradication of
selfishness...cultivation of broad, generous sympathy in, and
effort for the good of others...cultivation of  the inner,
spiritual man by meditation...control of fleshly appetites and
desires...careful performance of every duty.				EPITOME  p.
24-25