RE: theos-l digest: November 02, 1998

Nov 03, 1998 09:23 AM
by W. Dallas TenBroeck [mailto:dalval

Nov. 3rd 1998

Dallas writes:

Dear MKR:

To offer further clarification.  Please I only make statements
that are based on definite historical documents or first person
witness.  When I don't know I say so.  When I guess or have an
opinion - and I often have many - I also say so, so there is no
mistake.  Also when I find I am wrong I say so right away.

Dal.

Now: --

Concerning the matter of Mr. Judge, and the part that he played
in the T S and its development.

The statements I made are based on Histories and historical
documents.

If Mr. Paul Johnson has something else than opinions (his own or
those of others) to offer, could they be advanced for all to
consider ?  As I read his statements they appear to me inaccurate
and I subjoin comments.

Students who desire to investigate these documents will find them
detailed in two books

THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT ;  1875 - 1925,  and its sequel

THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT :  1875 - 1950

The references that are quoted there have all been verified
several times.

1878 - 1896

After HPB and Olcott left for India in 1878 it was Judge who kept
the T S in New York alive by holding weekly meetings, even when
no one was present - as is attested to by others.  Mr.
Neresheimer, is one of those.  Between 1879 and 1886 the work of
the T S apparently faced a recession of interest in the USA -
however it was Judge that kept the thread of continuity alive at
the HQ in New York.

1891 - 1892

Judge produced no "Mahatma letters" that turned Besant against
Olcott.  It was Besant who brought certain opinions of hers to
Judge late in 1891.  (See HISTORIES above. )

Resolutions were passed by the American and the British Sections
T S in 1892 accepting Olcott's resignation (which he wrote
unrequested, alleging health reasons).  Because of Judge's
urging, these Resolutions requested Olcott to rescind his
resignation.  Olcott went on record when he did this, saying that
he had independently received a direct communication from "his
Master" telling him to do so.  This is a matter of Historical
record.

Judge and Vice-Presidency / Presidency  (1891-2)

Judge advised many of his close companions that he was not
interested in leaving New York and America (where his work was).
He was suffering from the incurable Chagres disease, (Back-water
fever) which finally took his life in 1896.  He did not want to
go to Adyar and to assume the Presidency of the T S.

He had been appointed Vice-President T S by Pres. Olcott, and
this was later ratified by the Council in Adyar.  This was during
HPB's life-time.  She stated that this appointment was made at
the "Masters order."  {Documents as above ]

Judge's relations with HPB

It is advisable to consider ALL letters, please.  Then, frame
your own opinion.

1875 -1888

Judge was given a Certificate (14 Dec. 1888) in ES by HPB in 1888
stating he was a "successful chela of 13 years' standing" and was
her "Agent" in America.

More letters giving HPB's opinion of Judge are available in
print.
[ see LETTERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME.  ULT 1931 Centenary Edition,
pp. 276 et seq. ]

Besant's "Co-outer Head E S" termination by Judge

Based on documents.  [ See History ]

1893 - 1894

Besant arrived in Colombo late in 1893, visited Adyar soon after
for the "annual meeting."

Attack on Judge began early in 1894.

"Trial" conducted in mid 1894 in London on flimsy "evidence."
Failed, and "charges" were dismissed.  [ see HISTORY ]
History narrates the sequence of letters and the response for all
to see.

Amity was declared in letters published in LUCIFER, PATH and
THEOSOPHIST.

Attack on Judge was resumed late in 1894.  [ see History ]

Krotona conference:  Statements are made based on my memory (and
notes) of events and words heard.

Dallas