Theosophy & Tibet

May 17, 1998 07:25 AM
by K. Zaitzev

Hello mr. Johnson!

 Sorry for delay; was at my "dacha" ;)

pjohnson@vsla.edu wrote:

j> population, the ratio for India is .000012631; with 4,000 members
j> out of 260 million in the US, the ratio here is .000015384,

 Note how much is overall amount of literal people in India and
try to calculate the ratio for literal people respectively there &
in the USA.

j> As for there being more critics of Theosophy the further one gets
j> from India and Tibet, there are two reasons for this.  First,
j> there are more Theosophists the further one gets from India and

 Population of Infia reaches almost one billion, so using the ratio
you mentioned we got a large absolute quantity.
   As to the other counties of Asia (including Tibet), the authoritar
or islamic regimes rule there which suppress a free exchange of
information.

j> Krishnamurti, a definite critic of Theosophy, is vastly better
j> known and more appreciated in India than anyone Theosophical.
 As E.Roerich mentioned, those who deny a guru are regarded in India
as a trees without roots. It seems to me that she wrote that about
Aurobindo but in matches good for all folks of that kind.

> Otherwise he wouldn't come to celebrate 100th TS anniversary & so on.
j> That probably has more to do with the role of the TS in
j> supporting him than how he feels about its specific teachings
j> that present an interpretation of Tibetan Buddhism.  An
j> interesting question, though, one I'd like more info on.
 BTW, "The voice of silence" was published in 1920s in China with
approval of Panchen-lama. His opinion, as an official head of Gelug-pa
might be appreciated even much that Dalai's. Only now when Panchen
Rimpoche is imprisoned, the Dalai-lama is in fact the head of gelug-pa.

j> There actually are rather dogmatic statements in Theosophical
j> teachings, giving an average of 1500 years.  Or various other
j> intervals but all far longer than the one you cite.
 The tibetan sources regard dwelling in hells & paradises as _incar-
nations_. For example several sins are mentioned for which one can
get into the hell for several kalpas. For anger on Bodhisattva one
can get to hell for one kalpa (see "Lamrim chenmo" (The big guide on
the path of illumination) by Tzonkhapa, vol. I). The theosophists
regard these stated not as incarnations but as the intervals between
them.

> But masters never declared themselves to be the lamas.
j> There are a great many inconsistent statements about the precise
j> relationship of HPB's Masters (which Masters do you refer to?) to
j> the Tibetan tradition.
 I mean M. & K.H. who were born in Rajasthan and Kashmir. They simply
lived in Tibet end even criticized an exoterical form of buddhism.
Mahachohan mentioned that buddhism is good even in its exoterical
form. (What shows that he himself wasn't a lama too). Only D.K.
was mentioned (by Roerich & Bailey) as having the close relations
with the lamas. But they also noted that he isn't a lama himself.

BTW, what's your purpose of refuting existance of the masters?
Why not refute existance of Jesus Christ, Muhammad or Blavatsky herself?
I understand that TS imposes no one to believe in them and admits
to join those who don't believe, but what's the use of joining
and then publish the pamflets against masters? Normally books are
written for some doctrine, not against. There are some books against
but they are really for another doctrine, for example, christian.
Do you have a doctrine of your own? For people write books simply
"against" most commonly for money or ambition. Are your books
published by commercial publishing houses?
    Oh, perhaps I've guessed: these books are sold good, so it's
the best way to obtain money for TS & publishing such books as S.D., etc... ;)