Service and Exhaustion

Mar 17, 1998 02:14 PM
by Thoa Tran

Murray:
<snip>
>Finally, I believe that seeking to be of service is the best way for
>spiritual growth to occur, provided any desire to acquire additional power
>is wholly enveloped within and aligned towards that goal. Furthermore, I
>suspect that seeking to be of service is a great pathway on which to
>approach the inner Teacher, but that's another topic.

I understand the ability to place oneself in another person's shoe.  I'm
able to do that in ways that is more like empathy and connection.  The
problem that I encountered was that I expend too much energy when placing
myself in service of others.  Whenever I put myself out to people, the
response was very positive, and I've gotten compliments on how well I
interact.  However, after a period of contact with person(s), I am mentally
and emotionally exhausted and need to cut off all contact with people.
Does anyone else encounter this problem?  How can you consistently be kind,
warm, giving and enthusiastic to people without losing your center?  I need
a period of silence, selfishness and grumpiness just to balance myself.

Thoa :o)