Service and Exhaustion

Mar 24, 1998 11:37 AM
by Thoa Tran

Dear Murray and Julien,

I believe in listening to ourselves as to what our needs are.  We should
realize our needs without feeling that we are being selfish or weak.  We
all would love to be arhats, but we are only human beings.  Hey, we should
pat our wondrous evolved backs!  Not listening to ourselves will only
result in unhappiness and sickness.

Your suggestions are good, Murray.  Human association is powerful.  It can
be either positive or negative.  I've been greatly encouraged and inspired
by people.  I've also been discouraged and hurt by people.  It takes fine
talent to deal with people.  It's a gamble.  Sometimes we choose not to
gamble and isolate ourselves by opening a good book and listening to
beautiful music.

New Zealand T.S. sounds like a great group.

Thoa :o)

Julien:
>I am in a helping profession and also find myself drained in helping
>situations. It seems the more intense the encounter(s), the more re-energizing
>time I need. Recently, I experienced such an intense encounter that, although
>the outcome was positive for the participants, it seems to have knocked out
>part of my immune system and I was down with a nasty cold for a few days.

>>Murray:
<snip>