Re: Miami

Feb 21, 1998 08:31 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

M K Ramadoss wrote:

> The issue on the voting rights was that those who had voting rights at the
> time of the amendment of the bylaws lost it when the bylaws were passed.
> There were a lot of msgs here and exchange of correspondence with Wheaton
> on this.

    I now recall the situation. Here is the basic question: there was a rule of
the Theosophical Society as a whole, which the American Section had been in
violation of for years. There were two choices in order to obey the rule. The
first was to stop the violation immediately, and put in the correct rule, causing
a year or two of unfairness. The second was to correct the violation with
fairness, which would have caused a year or two of remaining in violation of the
rule. I was in favor of the latter, and let my feelings be known. I am not
informed of what went on between Wheaton and Adyar, and what the motivations were
at Wheaton, but the former course was chosen. Was the decision made to keep Sy off
the Board of Directors? I hope not. Did Adyar threaten to excommunicate the
American Section if they did not comply? If push came to shove, it would have been
the height of stupidity to do so, but the threat might have been implicit.

    The key, however, is not how to destroy what is wrong, but how to create what
is right. Does anybody here have any ideas on THAT?

    Bart Lidofsky