Re: The Importance of Open Communication

Feb 18, 1998 10:56 AM
by Bart Lidofsky

Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:

> I should think that the Roman Catholic Church, the Episcopal Church in
> America, The Church of England, and most other religious
> denominations, would also descibe themselves as "religious
> educational" organisations.  So does Scientology.

    Nope; they all list themselves as religions.

> I think yours is a
> *misleading* designation - Joe and Jane public, seeing this, will assume
> a religious purpose behind your Lodge, you may be sure.  This is not to
> question your motives as truth-seekers, of course.

    We were grilled very closely by a New York State court (at a time when New York
State was looking at ways of gaining new tax revenues by going after small
organizations taking religious tax exemptions). The judge agreed with us.

    Bart Lidofsky