Re: The Importance of Open Communication

Feb 17, 1998 07:15 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <34E92173.74EDF6C8@sprynet.com>, Bart Lidofsky
<bartl@sprynet.com> writes
>followers of a religion are usually member of a
>> religious organization.  In the case I mentioned, the term is explicit :
>>
>> "Religious denomination of theosophists."
>>
>> What point are you trying to make? ??
>
>    Nothing major. The New York Lodge lists itself as a religious organization
>(more precisely, a religious educational organization) without having to declare
>Theosophy as a religion. Since Theosophy very frequently enables people to
>understand their OWN religion better, I think it's a fair designation.

I should think that the Roman Catholic Church, the Episcopal Church in
America, The Church of England, and most other religious
denominations, would also descibe themselves as "religious
educational" organisations.  So does Scientology.  I think yours is a
*misleading* designation - Joe and Jane public, seeing this, will assume
a religious purpose behind your Lodge, you may be sure.  This is not to
question your motives as truth-seekers, of course.

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Working for a New Age:
http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
E-mail: TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk