Re: Self-development and service

Nov 10, 1997 03:48 AM
by CPickar965

To Titus,

Greetings,

<<
 It seems to me that these self-development and service are difficult to
 separate and certainly belong together.  How can you truly be of service to
 others if you haven't corrected your own errors?  You would be the "blind
 leading the blind".  And how can you correct your own errors if you don't
 learn how in the school of the world? - and that means motivating your
search
 for healing techniques out of compassion for others.

Your point is well made.  I agree we need to do both and both are important.
 My earlier commentary was based on a limited observation in my area.
  America has traditionally been known to promote the individual with the
"What's in it for me syndrome".  This is not all bad and at times even
appropriate.  Hence, the interpretation of self-improvement as
individualistic (not group motivated).  The trend I have observed is to not
talk about motives and the role they play in humanhood (traditionally
brotherhood).  The observations made have led me to conclude we are becoming
more intellectual and there is  a need for more concentration on the subject
of  humanhood (brotherhood) and unity or heart centered issues and how to
apply them in day to day life and  importance of talking about how we feel,
how we treat others, etc... and in general "right human relations."   You are
quite right in talking of motives.  Appearances can be deceiving and NONE of
us can know another's true motives.

<<Self-development need not be selfish.  As we have discussed before, the
difference is motive.  Jung said (approximately), "The ocean is made up of
individual drops.  It takes grains of sand to make the Sahara desert.  And
you
are helping make the ocean better when you become a better drop of water."
When I apply myself to spiritual disciplines, I try to think of it as better
qualifying myself to help others.>>

The  point which you succinctly made  regarding self-improvement as a means
of service has a good base in psychology from more than Jungian point of
view.  It seems to me it is commonly accepted unless you have a degree of
self-esteem and self respect (based on reality, of course) you are not going
to like (esteem) or respect others.  As we are able to "actualize" respect
and esteem, it seems to me, we are more able to develop genuine liking or
compassion for others leading to the "brotherhood" syndrome.  Self
improvement is an excellent means of developing self respect and esteem.  The
Jungian  line of thought has been suggested by more than one person that as
we improve ourselves we not only improve the quality of humanity but the
 Logos, as well.

Namaste,

crp