Dreck

Oct 30, 1997 09:21 PM
by Drpsionic

This is something that, contrary to a well-constructed public image I really
don't like to do, but this time I gotta!

Tonight Gerda and I had the incredible misfortune of hearing what was
probably the most boring, god-awful dumb and stupid lecture the TS has put on
in a couple of years.  It made the brain-dead idiot with THE PATTERN look
good by comparison.  Hell, she at least was cute!

The embarrassing part of all this is that the speaker is a nice little old
lady who just happens to be the international vice president of the Adyar TS
Mary Anderson.

I don't know, maybe she just had an off night but even after 4 cups of coffee
at dinner I fell asleep and was assured that the respite was merciful
compared to what she was babbling.

The point of this rant is that last night I hung out with some folks who are
generally conceded to be really dumb--charismatic xtians (for those of you
who don't know charismatic means pentecostal that can read) and they had a
speaker who was one hell of a barn-burner.  He held that audience and got
them excited and interested in what he was saying.  I was damn near speaking
in tongues myself by the time he was over and was so damned high from the
energy of the room that even a flat tire on the way home couldn't dampen my
spirits.

Now just how in the bloody hell are we going to compete with these folks for
the hearts and minds of humanity if all we can offer is a series of crashing
bores and new age dunderheads?   I say we lock the nice, boring people in
their offices, let them shuffle paper and eat cucumber sandwiches, which is
what they do best, and create some people who can hold an audience, or least
keep them awake!

Chuck the Heretic

"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until the
looting started."