Re:Enclosures

Oct 30, 1997 02:12 PM
by Titus Roth

Nicole Suter <suter@igt.baum.ethz.ch> asked

> I had to look up the word "enclosures" because I use this when I mail
> out a letter and enclose something. Are you referring to enclosure
> as a compound for an animal?

I mean a kind of container that holds similar things in and keeps dissimilar
things out.  The container also imparts a shape and quality of its own. For
example, Peter thought following Christ meant being a Jew, circumcised
.. etc.  Essentially he said what belongs inside the group of Christians is
this, not that.  It gives spirit form.

(Regarding enclosures and identity)
> I believe that each of us is an individual with an individual identity.
> Groups of people or nations never have an unique identity but have
> a collective unconsiousness. If I meet a group for instance and do not
> feel comfortable there after three of four meetings I excuse myselves
> and don't go back anymore.

All the constituents of a group are influenced by its enclosure. It can
sometimes be so solid you think you can cut it with a knife. To draw from
something in my experience, I went before the board of directors of a
Foundation to protest a few of their injustices toward my wife. They were not
stupid people and all believed they were doing the right thing. For half an
hour they recounted all (true) failings of my wife and why that proved they
were right, parroting various aphorism and truisms. [BTW, most of us have the
failings they focused on.] After hearing the tone of pious and solemn concern
for me and my wife I began to think I was crazy for protesting, but in spite
of my doubt I stuck to my guns. Literally as soon as I left the room my
certainty returned and thought, "So *that's* what it's like for *them*. What a
powerful force that makes them conform."

(Titus)
>> "Enclosures can be protective in that they exclude thoughts, influences, or
>> people that would be interfere with the unfolding of that identity."

> I agree 100 % but not with the word "enclosures" if its meaning is defined
> in the sense of my first question.

Hopefully, I've defined it a little better.

(Titus)
>> "They can be harmful if they are cruelly separative."

> Could you explain this please - how do you mean that?

Saying, "Theosophy isn't for that born again Bible thumping fundamentalist,"
is ok, but it is not ok to say, "We are superior," or "Tear down his
religion."

(Titus)
>> "Animals seem to have a sense of territory and perhaps build their own
>> etheric enclosures."

> Maybe I misunderstood you, but this sounds a bit as if the "etheric
> enclosure" of the animal is valued higher than your own as a human being

I only meant to show a correspondence with the animal kingdom.

(Titus)
>> "A person's aura is a form of enclosure. It is protective, but also enables
>> a person to hear their own thoughts."

> From what I have learned, aura refers to charisma which is of course
> protective.

I mean an actual energy field around the body.

P.S., I'm interested in what some call your national saint, Nicholas von der
Flue. Do you know of any biographies of him? (Hopefully in English).