Re: THEOS-L digest 1286

Oct 21, 1997 11:08 AM
by Titus Roth

I asked

CPickar965@aol.com wrote:

> We're very small (5-6). We meet once a week.  Their is still some
> communication problems with one individual. So, no we don't achieve a total
> consensus.

Thus always.  Seems to be part of the game.  Ann Ree Colton identified three
types found in groups: the pidgeons, the doves, and the eagles.  The doves are
the harmless ones, the peace makers - always wanting to reconcile, but not
always recognizing danger when they see it.  They cannot understand when
people do not get along.  They are the oil that keep the gears from becoming
worn.  Pidgeons have a self-serving side and disrupt the harmony in a group.
In reality, they are sent to stimulate members to explore that side of
themselves and master it.  Eagles are the high flying birds.  They bear the
brunt of the group's shadow and sometimes take hits for making good but
unpopular decisions.  Sometimes there is only one eagle, sometimes there is
only one pidgeon.  Usually you find several doves.

> The structure of the organization we are part of is hierarchal and some
> decisions out of necessity are done that way.

I don't see how you can avoid a certain kind of hierarchy, but it doesn't have
to be based on ego. As Jesus said, "He who would be chiefest among you, let
him be your servant."  A true servant is not in an inferior position relative
to the master.  "The servant is not greater than the master.  And the master
is not greater than the servant."  As long as the roles are not artificial and
based on presumption.

> However, what has happened is the spirit of the group is positive and
> members tend to willing take responsibility for issues (like bringing
> supplies and helping with certain chores) based on their own willingness to
> take on the responsibility (frequently without being asked). A natural flow
> seems to take place.

A tribute to the collective efforts of your group.