Re: Tom and his evil feminists (again)

Sep 05, 1997 03:48 PM
by Tim Maroney

>The general response from people on this list to claims of feminism's
>having gone to extremes is that such claims are false, insignificant,
>and/or sexist.

Tom, no one is saying that except you. The issue where you are concerned
is not that you think feminism like other reform movements has sometimes
been overzealous, but that you seem basically at odds with the aims of
the movement, of which Theosophy is an important historical part, with
feminism written into its primary aims. You seem hell-bent for leather to
make it appear from the emotional tone of your writing that you don't
like women, don't have any sympathy for the oppression of women, and
think women and men who are sympathetic to women's sociopolitical
position are members of some ravening, world-destroying movement . Your
tone comes across as a barely controlled venting of furious anger.

>The belief in its insignificance is based on the idea
>that male violence towards women is far more of a problem than
>anything feminism has caused.

I can't quite parse this sentence, but in any case, does it help you to
know that I agree that some damaging stereotypes about males as abusers
and women as victims have become entrenched in Western culture? These are
not even feminist stereotypes; they are mass media stereotypes; the
internal discourse in feminism, especially on the tangent with gay and
lesbian studies, is much better than the popular press and much better
than yours. These mistaken ideas need to be explored and defused, but the
way to do this is not to come across as a vicious enemy of the liberation
of women, as you do.

--
Tim Maroney    tim@maroney.org    http://www.maroney.org