Re: Hebrew Texts

Aug 30, 1997 05:42 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.970830005741.2737A-
100000@ModZer0.dcc.uaf.edu>, Jaqtarin Samantha Triele
<triaism@modzer0.dcc.uaf.edu> writes
>The grammar I have introduces biblical script in modern usage.  Sort of a
>mix of old and new, I suppose.  You would probably know much more about it
>than I, particularly at this very early point in my learning.  In addition
>to the grammar and the bible, I purchased the Hebrew and English Lexicon
>to the OT, by Brown, Driver, and Briggs, an Oxford Publication.

This is an *essential* reference work, and if you can get it, there is
also an index to it as a separate publication. I have it, but not to
hand, so remind me to send details.  Also, if you haven't already got
it, Strongs Exhaustive Concordance (MacDonald Publishing, McLean,
Virginia - though there is also a paperback version by someone].

You are lucky to have the Hebrew and Aramaic in the same script. As the
alphabets are identical, all you have to worry about is the syntax and
grammar.  Bear in mind that prior to the tenth (9th) century all Hebrew
was unpointed.  Aramaic is unpointed anyway, which is why your text is
probably less "cluttered" to look at.  I am no great language scholar,
BTW, though I have enough to get me by!

Alan