Translating Hieroglyphics

Jul 23, 1997 08:23 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>Did you base your translation solely on symbolism?

Gisele, no. Actually, I used Budge's dictionary, which
he chose not to use himself. I worked under the assumption
that the ancient Egyptians were reasonably intelligent,
while Budge considered them "savages."  In just about every
instance where a direct translation would show intelligence,
he did not use his own dictionary or grammar rules. The
new "Bible" of hieroglyphics (Gardinar) is a bit better but not
much.

Jerry S.
Member, TI