re: Egyptian and Eastern wisdom

Jul 20, 1997 07:39 PM
by Mark Kusek

> Gisele wrote:

> See ...  the term 'logos' is unfamiliar to me, although I've seen it in
> gnostic texts.  I don't recall seeing a definition.

I know there is a debate right now on the various theosophy lists about
definitions and encyclopedias, but a good place to start studying terms
might be G. de Purucker's "Occult Glossary" (Theosophical University
Press, Pasadena, CA). (I'll warn you right up front though, it will
probably make you think hard!) ;-)

For example, in it you"ll find:

Logos.(Greek)

In old Greek philosophy the word Logos was used in many ways, of which
the Christians often sadly misunderstood the profoundly mystical
meaning. Logos is a word having several applications in the Esoteric
Philosophy, for there are different kinds or grades of logoi, some of
them of divine, some of them of spiritual, character; some of them
having a cosmic range, and other ranges much more restricted. In fact,
every individual entity, no matter what its evolutionary grade on the
ladder of life, has its own individual Logos. The divine-spiritual
entity behind the sun is the Solar Logos of our solar system. Small or
great as every solar system may be, each has its own Logos, the source
or fountainhead of almost innumerable logoi of less degree in that
system. Every man has his own spiritual logos; every atom has its own
logos; every atom likewise has its own Paramatman and Mulaprakriti, for
every entity everywhere has its own highest. These things and the words
which express them are obviously relative.

One meaning of the Greek Logos is "word" - a phrase or symbol taken from
the Ancient Mysteries meaning the "Lost Word," the "lost" logos of man's
heart and brain. The Logos of our own planetary chain, so far as this
Fourth Round is concerned, is the Wonderous Being or Silent Watcher
(q.v.).

The term, therefore, is relative and not an absolute one, and has many
applications.

> This is the way Steiner described it (although I would love to find a
> similar description in Eastern literature):   Before Atlantis sank, a 'god'
> called 'Manu' gathered the more advanced individuals from all over the
> world to a secluded spot in Asia.  He educated and initiated them and then
> released them to mix with the general population as Teachers of the
> Mysteries.  India was the first location to receive its initiates.

This story, I believe, is refering to the origins of the fifth root race
(Aryan) under Vaivasvata Manu. A search for his name in traditional
Hindu scriptures would probably shed some mythological light, but
undoubtedly not with a clear theosophical perspective. While there is
eventually much reputed interaction (physical, cultural and religious)
between these people(s), Egypt and the "East" (as well as other parts of
the world), there would have already been considerable influx of both
population and culture into these areas from much older Atlantean
strains.

For example, according to theosophy, the first two "Divine Dynasties" of
Egypt were supposedly highly successful Atlan civilizations (complete
with Initiate rulers). Laying the groundwork in that region for a
religion and culture of Adept wisdom. Likewise in the "East", having
both the Turanian and Mongolian sub-races of the Atlantean race spread
abroad in those areas as well as the direct influence of Shamballah in
Central Asia.

Whatever one may think about CWL and Annie Besant as reliable theosophic
information sources, (If you really want to hurt your head) I would
recommend A.E. Powell's compilation "The Solar System" (ISBN
7229-5225-2) for an interesting and readable account of supposed early
root race history.

Mark
--------
WITHOUT WALLS: An Internet Art Space