Re: Tolerance

Jul 07, 1997 01:12 PM
by ramadoss

At 03:39 PM 7/7/97 -0400, Titus Roth wrote:
>ramadoss@eden.com wrote:
>
>> If anyone's views or actions, is likely to cause cruelty or injustice to
>> anyone, then I will under no circumstances will support it and will do what
>> I can to stop it.
>
>> Any action or view I see helping our fellow humans and other living
>> creatures, I will support at all times.
>
>> Any complicated analysis or justification is too complex for my simple mind
>> and intelligence. KISS principle appeals to me.
>
>Good principles.  Complicated analysis is not necessary if one has developed
>good perception and intuition.
>
>Just for clarification, my point is that there's a difference between
>tolerance and endorsement.

      Sure I agree with this important distinction.

>It's fine if a group of people want to join together and devote themselves to
>Elizabeth Claire Prophet.  That doesn't directly cause cruelty or injustice.
>But including her ideas in a group focused on theosophy might go against the
>group's purposes by diluting truth with fluff.

     I think that all the philosophies unless verified with first hand
experience should always be taken with a certain amount of skepticism which
makes all of us fully alert to potential error or misunderstanding. I donot
know about truth being diluted. If truth is dynamic and not a fixed point,
then any amount of fluff cannot hide it for long, IMHO.

>It may sound judgmental to call Prophet's stuff fluff.  But hey, we all fall
>into a bit of fluff at some point in our lives.  That is our right.  Perhaps
>the experience teaches us something.  Sooner or later, though, we want to have
>something more.  And we want that something available in the most
>unadulterated form humanly possible. I would rather work in groups devoted
>to making that something available - as far as human fallibility allows.
>
>Well, I've wandered from the original topic. To recap, I think there is some
>legitimate kind of exclusiveness. Theosophical groups should be able to reject
>some things from inclusion into their objectives. How responsibly they do
>it depends on their collective virtue. Garbage in. Garbage out. Gold in.
>Gold out.

Each group sets up its own set of parameters which the group tries to live
by. But without endorsing anything, we can all follow live and let live
approach.