The Unknowable Absolute

Jul 04, 1997 02:46 PM
by Tom Robertson

I have been reading Emily Sellon's "The Pilgrim and the Pilgrimage."  On
page 85, she wrote:

"The source and cause of all manifested being is one absolute unknown and
unknowable reality: ultimate, ever-present, boundless, and eternal,
beyond both being and non-being."

I don't understand this.  If nothing can be said about the Absolute, why
even use the word?  Why say what she said about it?  Nothing could be
more conducive to dogmatism and cultishness than such a doctrine which
cannot be understood, but must be either believed in or not believed in.