Self-Indulgence

Jun 05, 1997 09:45 AM
by Gerald Schueler

>>As long as a person carries a physical body around and functions
>>through an ego or personality, they HAVE to have shadows of
>>self-indulgence now and again.
>
>One of the Buddhist vows I remember from Zen retreats was: "The
>deluding passions are inexhaustible, I vow to extinguish them."
>Here I'd put emphasis on the word "deluding". It's the overpowering
>or compulsive or delusionary aspect of the passions that we overcome.
>The passionate energies don't go away. Instead, I'd say, they become
>the wind in our sails, the driving power behind the acts of
>creativity, originality, and expressiveness that we perform in
>the world.

Eldon, I certainly don't disagree.  I was arguing with the idea
of self-indulgence.  The ML quote implies that self-indulgence is
ALWAYS wrong.  My point is that just to sit down and rest,
have a cup of tea, breathe fresh air, and so on are all
examples of self-indulgence and are perfectly natural,
are human, and are OK.

Jerry S.
Member, TI