Re: Marrage and Self-Indulgence

Jun 03, 1997 10:22 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Jerry:

>>In "The Mahatma Letters" is the following: "Occult Science does not allow
>>a shadow of self-indulgence, and is incompatible with the ordinary course
>>of married life."

>While this is a direct quote from the TS Bible and has to be right,
>it also should be taken in context, and with some common sense.

I agree, but this is true of anything that we study. We take into
account the limitations of the author and language at hand. HPB and
her Teachers were limited by a lack of a rich vocabulary to draw
upon, and were pioneers in introducing certain ideas into western
thought. I wouldn't compare the Mahatma Letters to the Bible, since
they're not infallible writ. On the other hand, I'd give an expert
in a field a careful reading, while not devoting much time to the
writings of those without knowledge and training.

With source Theosophy, I'd consider there being expert information
and advice -- materials coming from a known, genuine source. This
doesn't make them infallible, nor written lucidly. And it doesn't,
of course, say anything about *where else* similar expert knowledge
can be obtained.

>As long as a person carries a physical body around and functions
>through an ego or personality, they HAVE to have shadows of
>self-indulgence now and again.

One of the Buddhist vows I remember from Zen retreats was: "The
deluding passions are inexhaustible, I vow to extinguish them."
Here I'd put emphasis on the word "deluding". It's the overpowering
or compulsive or delusionary aspect of the passions that we overcome.
The passionate energies don't go away. Instead, I'd say, they become
the wind in our sails, the driving power behind the acts of
creativity, originality, and expressiveness that we perform in
the world.

>And whether or not occult science
>is compatible with marriage depends on who one marries.  Occult
>Science, believe it or not folks, doesn't really care all that much if
>a person who studies it is married or not.  Being married makes it
>harder to learn (mostly cause of the required time) but not
>impossible.

True, it's still possible if someone's married. The partner should
be informed of and involved with any practices, though, since
he/she would be in the line of fire of any unexpected karma that
arises about one. As inner events exteriorize, starting to show up
in the outer world, they affect the people about us, and our spouses
can be the first to experience this "spontaneous arising".

-- Eldon