Thought For Food

Jun 02, 1997 07:09 PM
by E. J.

Hello All,

     As we replay the scenes from the past, we experience again the emotions
connected to these scenes, losing more energy. We relive the traumas, the
dramas, the pain, as well as the pleasures and ecstasies. Shakespeare wrote
about this habit of ours in the following sonnet:

"When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste:

Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since cancell'd woe,
And moan the expense of many a vanished sight:

Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All loses are restored, and sorrows end."

     We can see clearly that Shakespeare is referring to our habit of imagining
things from the past and how that habit affects us. At the end of the sonnet he
makes a poetic reference to Inner Consciousness. The "dear friend" is none other
than the Self, showing us how we can rescue ourselves by returning to the
Eternal Moment through Inner Consciousness.

     Any thoughts on the matter ?
                            __
                           {-  -}
"We are not human beings having
      a Spiritual Experience --
We are Spiritual Beings having
           a Human Experience."
     -- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Let There Be Light -- Always In All Ways, e.j. }~:~{
   http://home.earthlink.net/~ejlight/index1.html
"You who have the Light --
                     What are you Doing with it ?"