ES Shut Down

May 19, 1997 06:04 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 05:08 AM 5/19/97 -0400, Jaqtarin Samantha Triele wrote:
>I would be very interested in Wood's description of the TS closure.  I'm
>sure it would be very helpful in my understanding of TS "politics" as well
>as providing more to think about on people's need for dependence.
>
>---
>Jaqi.

I think you refer to ES closure. TS was never closed. Here follows Wood's
description of the ES Shut Down and reopening during Annie Besant's time.
Excerpted from Wood's book "Is This Theosophy ...?"

    In 1927 Dr. Besant was in America with Krishnamurti. He had now
    become very active and independent. He wrote charming poetry at
    that time, full of sympathetic feeling and penetrating thought. Dr.
    Besant announced that the World Teacher had definitely come, not as
    she had expected by the occasional stepping out of Krishnamurti  and
    stepping in of the Lord, but by a constant mingling of  I the
    consciousness of the Lord and that of his disciple. To this belief she
    adhered to the end of her life, and she made it the topic of her
    greatest enthusiasm, as can be seen in all her subsequent annual
    presidential addresses to the Society. In 1928 she closed the Eastern
    School, as the Lord had come, and it was his guidance that the people
    should now seek, not hers. But it was soon strongly represented to her
    by Bishop Leadbeater and his close adherents that many of its
    members, released from the discipline of the School,
    were becoming slack in their personal conduct, and in
    consequence of this pressure she opened it again a year later
    for those who felt that they could not discipline themselves and
    wanted a routine laid down for them.