Re: Spiritual groups

May 05, 1997 03:34 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <199705050151.SAA09266@palrel1.hp.com>, Titus Roth
<titus@clisome9.rose.hp.com> writes

>People will always want to share their spiritual lives in groups. Even
>Nietzsche's Zarathustra could not glory in his own singular achievement,
>but had to go down from the mountain:
>
>"... at last his heart turned - and one morning he rose with the dawn,
>stepped before the sun, and spoke to it thus:
>
>Great star! What would your happiness be, if you had not those for
>whom you shine! ...
>
>Behold! I am weary of my wisdom, like a bee that has gathered
>too much honey; I need hands outstretched to take it ...
>
>Bless the cup that wants to overflow, that the waters may flow
>golden from him and bear the reflection of your joy over all the world!"

Of course people want to share what they have found - one reason we are
having this discussion!  I agree that smaller groups are probably safer
than large organisations.  Note, though, that the above quote is not a
constitution requiring a board of directors, president, big daddy, big
momma, etc., but a recommendation ("Bless the cup") to *reflect* ("As in
a mirror, darkly," - Paul the apostle).  It is not an imperative or an
instruction from a "Master."

Alan