Re: THEOS-L digest 1006

May 02, 1997 00:57 AM
by DSArthur

This post is primarily for Mark (MKR) but others may find it to be of some
interest:
1.  Regarding the varying usages of the term <ego>: yes, it can get confusing
but
     HPB probably has the best definition which equates to "I am I" at both
the
     mortal and divine levels (see her Theosophical Glossary, pg 111).  In
other
     words, <ego> is the term we use to define our individuality or
separation from
     Unity.  This should provoke a comment from our heretical friend, Chuck,
     the effect that: "we are actually using the term to foster an illusion."
 Antici-
     pating that this is what he will say (or, at least, think) I can only
reply:
     "precisely, Chuck, precisely."
2.  Concerning the "complexity" of Karmic interactions, it might seem that
the
     Universe has a mighty "accounting job" to keep track of it all.  But, at
the
     divine level, it all becomes very simple and precise.  To use an
analogy,
     consider another natural law of the universe --- gravity.  Some of the
mathe-
     matical equations required to show the interaction of that force with
electri-
     city and magnetism continue to baffle the greatest minds on earth.
 Albert
     Einstein was certain one set of equations could explain all three ---
but he
     could never prove it.  Nor, to date, can anyone else!  Nevertheless,
gravity
     gets along quite well without those elusive mathematical equations.  It
can
     "solve" in an instant all of its interactions with matter under all
possible
     conditions --- leaving it to us humans to flounder around in the realm
of
     physics trying to explain why gravity manifests in the way that it does.
     Likewise with Karma.  We have great difficulty trying to "account" for
it
     ... but Karma, like gravity, accounts for itself very nicely (perfectly,
as a
     matter of fact).  And eventually, at one level of consciousness or
another,
     we humans (or our higher natures that are far more than human) will
fully
     comprehend the workings of both the Unified Field Theory that challenged
     Einstein and the workings of Karma that challenges us.

                                                                       Dennis