[Fwd: April 1]

Mar 27, 1997 07:29 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

> From: James Randi --- Wizard <randi-hotline@ssr.com>
> Subject: April 1
> Date: 	Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:20:40 -0500

The James Randi Educational Foundation will have an Open House for
friends and associates on April 1 (the anniversary of our
incorporation) between 6 and 8 in the evening.  We are presently
getting together the plans for a conference -- probably in December --
and we invite inquiries.  Both the Miami Space Planetarium and the
Fort Lauderdale Museum of Science & Discovery are affiliating with the
JREF, and we look forward to many close and productive associations
between these agencies and the Foundation.

So far, not one of the tens of thousands of nursing professionals who
administer -- and charge handsomely for -- Therapeutic Touch, has
agreed to try for the US$1,100,000 prize the JREF offers.  No one.  I
think we're rocking a boat full of otherwise very comfortable quacks.

This April 1st celebration will also mark the event you've all waited
for with such anxiety: the announcement of the annual Pigasus awards.
These highly coveted trophies will be distributed by the usual means,
and the winners will be announced here the evening of April 1st.
Suggestions have been pouring in, and any last-minute nominations you
may care to submit will be accepted up until Sunday night.  As usual,
the competition has been fierce.  The year 1996 was one full of
pseudoscience, claptrap, silly claims, and quackery.

A final note: I see that a medical provider named "Oxford Health
Plans" has decided to offer acupuncture as a covered treatment.  This
means that subscribers will pay for yet another variety of quackery.
It's rumored that Oxford will also offer eye of newt and toe of frog,
bat-wing poultices, and unicorn sweat ointment.  Now all we need is a
hospital named Yale to accept Therapeutic Touch as a legitimate
therapy.  Why not?  Hospitals in Florida do.  Shudder.....  And can
you imagine that we might even see a tenured Harvard professor
endorsing alien abductions?

Nah.  That's too preposterous.

					James Randi.

must be sent to the service address:

        Internet: randi-hotline-request@ssr.com

PLEASE BE PATIENT. All requests are processed before each new mailing
to the list and these can be widely spaced. You *will* be added if
your request was sent to the correct address.

-----------------
CONTACTING RANDI:
-----------------
James Randi Educational Foundation	phone: +1 954 467 1112
201 SE Davie Boulevard			fax: +1 954 467 1660
Fort Lauderdale FL  33316-1815		http://www.randi.org
U.S.A.

Note: Please send e-mail that can be handled by JREF staff to

	 randi@randi.org

DO NOT SEND UNSUBSCRIBE/SUBSCRIBE REQUESTS TO THESE ADDRESSES!

PERSONAL messages to randi, or messages requiring his personal
attention:

	76702.3507@COMPUSERVE.COM

---------------------------
BACK ISSUES OF THE HOTLINE:
On the Web:	http://www.mindspring.com/~anson/randi-hotline/

Via FTP:

USA:        ftp.netcom.com directory: /pub/an/anson/Mailing_Lists/geller-hotline
	    ftp.ssr.com:   directory: /Randi

Please try netcom.com first, since ftp.ssr.com is very busy.

EUROPE:	    mercurio.iet.unipi.it directory: /pub/Randi

Our gratitude goes to Anson Kennedy and Massimo Macucci for providing
the ftp sites at netcom and unipi.it, respectively.