RE: TS Motto

Mar 17, 1997 02:43 PM
by Einar Adalsteinsson & ASB

------ =_NextPart_000_01BC3324.D6959DE0

Hi there all:

This subject could and should invite to some discussion here

I believe the motto of the TS was "borrowed" from a family motto of some =
Indian family (Prince?), and it was translated from "Satya Nasti Paro =
Dharma" - There is no dharma higher than truth.
It seems to me that translating Dharma as "Religion" is a rather clumsy =
and somewhat arrogant towards the religions. On the other hand Dharma is =
not easy to translate, but as a compromise - and a good phrase on its =
own - would be: "There is no doctrine higher than truth".=20
This is what Theosophy is all about, isn't it? - Getting away from all =
the "Doctrines" to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the =
TRUTH!

I would suggest that we return back to the original (Sanskrit/Pail?) =
version when around the emblem (same in every country or language), and =
refer to a broad translation or explanation in a "commentary" in our =
introductory texts.

What do you think?

Love and light,

Einar.

Here is an interesting quote that I recently came
across:

"There is no Dharma higher than Truth"
(Na hi satyat paro dharmah)

The Mahanirvana Tantra (The Great Liberation).
Trans by Arthur Avalon (Sir John Woodroffe).
4th Ed. Ganesh & Co. (Madras) 1963.
Chapter 4, page 76

Not only does this quote sound familiar,
but it is especially interesting to see
that comes from a tantra.

Jerry S.
Member, TI