Re: Defining Theosophy

Feb 23, 1997 04:31 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <199702231917.LAA14500@palrel1.hp.com>, Titus Roth
<titus@clisome9.rose.hp.com> writes
>I think we agree that the original source contains some vitality or spirit in
>it. This spirit persists in spite of the "lack of knowledge" evident in any
>pioneer's works. Pioneers, having limited time and also being in the midst of
>the prejudices they are trying to break through, do not always polish their
>works or avoid errors.

.. which encourages us to check out what they said, so that errors can
be corrected if possible in the interest of the truth we are seeking.

>In the case of HPB, for example, I think we can safely discard her attempts to
>express ideas in the language of late 19th century science. Her refutations of
>contemporary errors can also be a little tedious. Nevertheless, after
>filtering out these and other things, I get something from her direct writings
>that I miss from other Theosophical writings.

Indeed - I probably got more from ~Isis~ than the SD for instance, but
there are many gems in the latter, though sometimes there is a lot of
tedium to pass before one finds them!

Alan