Theosophy for the Masses

Jan 30, 1997 07:09 AM
by Thoa Tran

Doss:

>>Kathleen writes:
>>
>>>Not only, that (we won't.  we can't.), but *why*?
>>>Why do we need to make Theosophy reach the masses?
>>
>>Kym writes:
>>Are not "the masses" you and me?  Right now, a mother is grief-stricken,
>>wondering why her child has just been murdered and why God would allow it.
>>Is she not "the masses?"  An uneducated young man makes it possible for you
>>to safely dine at your favorite restaurant by going in every day to wash the
>>dishes, and he prides himself on a job well done.  Is he not "the masses?"
>>A young girl sits alone in her room crying because no one at school will
>>play with her.  Is she not "the masses?"  The masses are not just some
>>obscure, fuzzy horde, but real people - real people looking for answers,
>>guidance, ideas.  All of us are searching for the same thing.  All of us
>>need the same thing.  Being educated, or intelligent, does not make one
>>spiritual, or even capable of understanding spiritual axioms.  The greatest
>>utterings of Truth have come from those who never read a book, or went to a
>>university, or held down a job.
>>
>>It is imperative that people share with other people what they have learned.
>>Those of us who have been exposed to T/theosophy have been able to do so
>>only because someone else decided to pass it on.  Those of us who claim to
>>be T/theosophists didn't invent T/theosophy - why should we now wonder if
>>others should have the same opportunity and information we do?  I don't
>>think we will suffer the same fate of dear Prometheus if we decide to share
>>our 'fire' with others.  Where would we be if he had decided to hog it all?
>>

>>> Knowing about Theosophy
>>>isn't going to change the world, not even if all the world knew about it.
>>

>>Are you so sure about that?
>>

>>Kym

>Wonderful post.

>..doss

Ditto.  Not wanting to reach the masses is another example of being too
emotionally lazy to try.  It's easier to stick with your own elite group
than to try to reach out to others since there is too much emotional
involvement and flexible thinking associated with that.  I switched from
majoring in engineering to art because I could not stand engineering's
coldness and rigidity.  I had fond memories of my 7th grade art teacher
patiently and warmly teaching us art methods.  When I went off to art
school, I came face to face with elitist attitudes, particularly at the
graduate level.  The professors do not connect with the students and only
communicate through verbose artspeak criticism.  During critiques, the
professors do not care about student work, only in hearing each other
discuss artspeak.  If a student excelled, it is not by any professor's
help.  I got my degrees, but with this sickening feeling in my stomach.  It
is only by forgetting all that artspeak and remembering art in my
childhood, that I'm able to paint with joy.  It is through such experiences
that when I sense elitism, I cringe.

Thoa