RE: keeping our language lucid

Jan 28, 1997 05:58 PM
by Einar Adalsteinsson & ASB

------ =_NextPart_000_01BC0D87.FEB74160

Hi there all of you.

I would like to specially thank you Eldon for your insight on this subject.
I can hear that you know the feeling of connecting with a group of real
enthusiastic spiritual listeners.

Eldon: Yes, it's possible to share profound insights with people, using a
language that they're familiar with. They can take their new
insights -- flashes of intuition -- and make sense of them in
their own ways.

One thing I have experienced talking to "newbies" about spirituality and
the Theosophical World-view is, that they really listen,  that is if you can
manage to touch a core in their own life's experience.

On the other hand I find it often most difficult to get anywhere near the
OLD, all-knowing THEOSOPHISTS, that have figured it all out,  and only
listen to you through or with their own ideas. For those you HAVE to
use the jargon technical terms, and preferably quote volumes and
pages, to get their attention - but there is still no real contact or
communion there.

So, I like to try to make my theosophical guidance as unconventional
and simple as possible. I rather use Ideas from the old scriptures, like
Tao te Ching, The Prophet, Light on the Path, etc., anything simple
and profound, but I don't like to quote them directly.

Eldon: A Christian might use biblical terminology to describe their
new understanding of emptiness. A agnostic scientist might use
entirely different ideas to explain and understand the same
insight.
A Christian might use biblical terminology to describe their
new understanding of emptiness. A agnostic scientist might use
entirely different ideas to explain and understand the same
insight

One thing I like to do is to take extracts from the Sermon on the Mount
and even the Lord's Prayer, and explain and discuss those from the
Theosophical World-view.

Many of the newcomers have been probing around in the New-Age
circles searching for some meaning to life, and you can with success
get to them through the terms and ideas that are common there.

But you have to straighten out the most hideous misinterpretations and
far reaching spiritual errors, that circle in those waters, WITHOUT ever
condemning any of them. You just give your explanation and
interpretation as you see it.

Eldon: The problem is that western thought may not provide a fertile
ground for these seeds to take root. The vocabulary, concepts,
logic, and view of life that someone holds is a container for
their insights. It's also a *filter*, adding a bias, allowing some
insights to take root and others to be excluded and to die away.

Exactly, but you can even bypass such filters if you surprise them
with something, a new point of view, that is totally transcending their
theories.

I use the "Oneness", the unity of all life, taken from all possible
aspects, mystically, environmentally, psychologically, scientifically, to
make a basis for what I go into. I interlink unity with other
subjects such as karma, reincarnation, insight, relations, prophesy, the
path, and most importantly, all that goes on in our psyche.

And I use the ideas of Krishnamurti, Rohit Metha, Carl Jung, Dr. Bohm,
Fritjof Kapra and the "horrendous" Ken Wilber, which by the way,
opened a big hole in the clouds for me personally.

Eldon: The theosophical doctrines provide a language and a framework for
understanding great insights. The language allows a richer,
deeper, more expressive understanding of the ancient wisdom. I'd
say that it's as important to teach this *framework* as it is to
share some of the insights that we've had along the way.

Of course it's almost impossible to convey anything profoundly spiritual
without using some technical terms, Sanskrit or otherwise. More
importantly you have also to take many common terms like love,
emotions, feelings, etc. and "rethink" and "redefine" their meaning in
the light of each subject.

Often one has to bypass such jargon terms, that don't really mean
anything to most people, and rephrase them in a different language. I
suspect, for instance, that the term Karma has a "frozen and dead"
meaning for most long term Theosophists! It has become a "jargon"-
term, which has no LIVING meaning in our life. We know all about it,
but we don't have the clue how to use it, moment by moment in our
everyday life! We are experts in arguing about its "real meaning", but it's
all theoretical "head"-learning and very little "heart"-knowledge.

Eldon:... By letting people see the richness of ideas and
wonders found in Theosophy, you overcome the language barrier.
Some people may be turned away because of the terminology and the
jargon, the technical language. You help people discover that
there's a goldmine behind the theosophical books.

Yes, that is exactly the point. You have also to promote discussion, so
that you can learn from them. You have to make a common ground, or
you won't get anywhere.

Einar before:
> To make it even more difficult, I like to take it from a profound
> mystical aspect, which often is quite non-logical or paradoxical
> in nature.

Eldon: This is a good approach. What we're trying to impart is ultimately
mystical in nature. The emphasis is on *insight* or new faculties
of consciousness, which is what the mystical consists of.

>The use of non-logical and paradoxical techniques in teaching is
important. We'd be trying to keep people from crystalizing in
their thinking, from getting trapped into ideas that are too
rigid. This stretching of the mind keeps it limber and flexible.

And we have to keep it that way ourselves all our life, which is a very
tricky business.

Eldon: And in addition to keeping the intellect healthy, there's the
higher faculty of symbolic thought, of direct insight which does
not rely on logic or rationality.

>Insights from this higher faculty can be partially *described* in
logical terms, but the description is different from the actual
experience. The difference is as wide as a clinical description
of "being in love" is from the actual life experience.

This is just as spoken from my heart. This is maybe the most important
aspect in our life and especially in our instructions and communications
to others.

My spiritual mentor and former GS in Iceland, who was an
expert lecturer, taught me that one should never propagate a too rigid
or too logical system, always keeping some open doors to the big
questions and mysteries of life. He even advised to tear apart every
main statement one would put forward, at the end of a talk or
discussion, turning the whole thing upside-down, and leaving the
listener hanging in the air - totally free from your thoughts.

Eldon: The point, I think, is to use a common language -- one that the
audience knows -- to express the philosophy. Once their interest
is aroused, they can learn a more adept language for the mystery
teachings -- the theosophical philosophy.

>And there's a second point here too: whatever we learn needs to
come back to our everyday life. The ideas need to take root in our
external life. There needs to be both a "reality check" of our
thinking with the external world, as well as a "potency check" of
the ideas having the power to make things happen in our lives and
the world.

-- Eldon

I take my hat off for that!

Love and light