Re: Truth and/or Consequences

Jan 22, 1997 10:14 PM
by kymsmith

Thoa (TTT) wrote:

>There is another side to women and sexuality.  There are cultures in which
>girls are taught to be ashamed of their body, that they should downplay
>their sexuality as much as possible.  In the Middle East, women are forced
>to cover their bodies.  My ex-roommate, a traditional Vietnamese woman,
>would note whether the young women were dancing with too many different men.
>As I was growing up, I constantly received this "Nice girls shouldn't ..."
>Also, in some cultures, after a woman is married, she has to look as plain
>as possible so as not to do the improper thing of attracting another man's
>attention.  I think women who have made it, such as Madonna, are saying, "I
>love my body.  I am not ashamed of it.  I am sexy, I am lusty, and I am
>powerful.  Deal with it."

I agree with your additional observation.  Women have been taught to regard
their bodies with contempt. What is happening to women in the Middle East is
beyond horrific.  America, too, in its own way, mocks the female body.
Women need to learn to feel good about their bodies, restore respect and pride.

However, there will come a day when Madonna's body fails to attract what she
desires or sends the message she desires.  Madonna's image, perceived by
young girls, does not hold in high esteem the value of cerebral cultivation.
Madonna may find her power fleeting, and she may have to "deal with it."
The health of the body and the health of the mind are vitally important;
however, the body is secondary, it should serve the mind.  I fear that too
many young women are internalizing the opposite reasoning.

Kym