Limitations of Logic

Jan 22, 1997 12:32 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Tom:
>But by no means was I saying that his thinking is generally illogical.
>I take your word for it that he knows as much about magic as you say
>he does, but I doubt he could know that much about magic, or, more
>generally, whether anyone can know very much about anything, without
>being logical.

Thanks for the first statement, Tom.   Actually, though, you have it
all wrong.  There is almost no logic to magic (or magick) at all.
Those who apply logic to it find that it won't work.  Only by
being illogical do we get results.  Why?  Possibly because logic
and reason are human, and pertain to the human brain-mind.  In order
for magic to work, we must transcend or go beyond the human mind,
and thus transcend logic.  I can see from your discourse that you
are terribly wrapped up in logic, seeing it as some kind of litmus
test for Truth.  Alas, I see this as self-limiting, because you
will never get beyond the human condition that way.  Truth is
both logical and illogical.  It must be so, since it is all-in-all.
Unfortuneately, this statement itself is not terribly logical,
is it?

Jerry S.
Member, TI