Re: Truth and/or Consequences

Jan 21, 1997 11:25 AM
by Tom Robertson

On Tue, 21 Jan 97, Richard Ihle wrote:

>Where we may really disagree, however, is in your statement, "Illogic is the
>sure road to superstition."  My view is that ~faulty initial perception~, and
>not illogic, is the more-travelled freeway.

All philosophies begin with premises that cannot be established logically.
Logic, like a computer, can only work with what it is given.

>However, it is also part of my initial perception that perhaps the ~last~
>thing these girls really want is to be dominated by such boys.
>
>It has been my experience, at least, that the girls seem almost invariably
>surprised and dismayed once they realize they are being dominated and >treated unfairly

As I hope I have made clear by now, I never meant to associate dominance
with injustice.  It is not possible to want to be treated unfairly.  In the
social context in which I had been using it recently, no one drew that
association, but rather saw submission as equal in value to dominance, and
were only using the desire to be dominated in its consensual form.  If most
people outside of that social context associate dominance with unfairness,
my use of the word outside that context was inappropriate to express what I
meant.

>Thus, perhaps both you and I may remain indefectible logicians, but much >of our future logical thinking about women will be diametrically opposed >because we didn't see the basic thing in the same way to begin with.  >Maybe you're right; maybe I'm right; maybe Kym will set us both straight.  >Who knows?

All good things cause dependence.  If Kym succeeds in her goal to
single-handedly destroy all sexism and the sense of superiority I so
desperately cling to, I would be left with no emotional support.  I cannot
allow that.