Two Brief Observations

Jan 10, 1997 03:12 PM
by Thoa Tran

Richard Trump:
>Other philosophically oriented lists I am on would have told
>the participants to take it to personal e-mail by now, but I
>guess we  have no moderators here (and perhaps little
>moderation!). Each group seems to have a life and personality
>of its own.

Welcome, Richard.  The beauty of unmoderation is that you get to see the
full range of the participants' insights, prejudiced or not.  I feel I learn
more from seeing how far an argument could go than from having it hidden
from me.  I'm not saying that I enjoy fighting. I'm saying it's interesting
to observe how we all get involved in an argument.  When Tom started off
with some  debatable words regarding women and domination, I became
personally involved in it.  When he added to the bruise by stating words
that seem to support war, I thought he was part of the downfall of society
and wrote in threatening to talk, talk him out.

Afterward, I learned I should have applied nonattachment.  I should have
debated him objectively and let go of being attached to the issue.  In a
group that is moderated, if something is going on that is hidden, I get a
sense of it with an uncomfortable feeling of having a wool pulled over my
eyes.  After all, real life is gun and roses.  However, although Tom is
trying to be our "spiritual ally" by pressing our buttons, thereby forcing
out what is ingrained in us, I do wish Tom would write in once in a while
with something that inspires us instead of causing us to argue.  Of course,
being involved in an argument is our choice.

>Even as Truth, does Error have its lovers.

Or another way:  Error is part of Truth

TTT