Re: The Path to Theosophy

Jan 02, 1997 01:29 PM
by M K Ramadoss

Here are my few thoughts, however outrageous they may be:

>    Although this extract by HPB was a response to those who found THE
>    SECRET DOCTRINE to difficult, chaotic etc. to study with ease; her
>    advice also applies not just to book study, but our whole approach
>    to Theosophy.
>    #####################
>
>         There are several ways of acquiring knowledge: (a) by
>    accepting blindly the dicta of the church or modern science; (b) by
>    rejecting both and starting to find the truth for oneself.  The
>    first method is easy and leads to social respectability and the
>    praise of men;

        What a wise statement. If this was just written yesterday, it is a
good summary of the current situation.

        Don't we all to one degree or another seek/crave social
respectability and praise of others so that we feel good and makes life
easy. I think we can today replace "church" by any organized form of creed
or dogma or a set of ideas (and beliefs) -- no matter how cleverly couched
in highly deceptive diplomatic language or based on claim of authority or
inspiration. One we accept them, there is no further arguments you are
considered a nice guy or gal who does not rock the boat. Once you start
questioning them, you have a hard time ahead of you.

Also when you deal with the creed/dogma based setup, it is very easy to
relate them to dollars and cents by whatever name it is called - tithe,
admission fee, so called suggested donation and the trick of passing a
basket to make *a* *subtle* *pressured* collection. One who has more money
to spare will get special attention and treatment and with the hope of
sitting at the right hand of god when you get to meet him/her/it. Don't we
all see this in all organizations?

>    the other is difficult and requires more than
>    ordinary devotion to truth, a disregard for direct personal
>    benefits and an unwavering perseverance.  Thus it was in the days
>    of old and so it is now, except perhaps, that such devotion to
>    truth has been more rare in our own day than it was of yore.

     Disregard for direct personal benefits -- either now (monetary or non
monetary) or hereafter, is a very tough sell in today's world when all talk
is about cost benefit analysis and payback time. In the day's of yore all
things spiritual were considered to be given

>    Indeed, the modern Eastern student's unwillingness to think for
>    himself is now as great as Western exactions and criticism of other
>    people's thoughts.

        How true it appears to be today even after 100 years. The moment you
start thinking for yourself, you will be seen a threat by every
system/dogma/creed and sure enough you will be an outcast. In these days of
modern media and its constant bombardment trying to influence the thinking
of everyone, it is more difficult and challenging today than 100 years ago.
Criticism of others people's thoughts is easy. But one has to be omniscient
to truly criticize other's thoughts.

         He demands and expects that his "Path" shall be engineered
>    with all the selfish craft of modern comfort, macadamized, laid out
>    with swift railways and telegraphs, and even telescopes, through
>    which he may, while sitting at his ease, survey the works of other
>    people; and while criticizing them, look out for the easiest, in
>    order to play at the Occultist and Amateur Student of Theosophy.

        If you look around, today more than ever, an easy engineered *bogus*
path is more easily saleable for a lot of dollars especially if you
guarantee instantaneous results. More mysterious the *path* is made to
appear, more price it can fetch. How radically different are what most
men/women want and what the "Real Path", about which HPB should know is.

>    The real "Path" to esoteric knowledge is very different.  Its
>    entrance is overgrown with the brambles of neglect, the travesties
>    of truth during long ages block the way, and it is obscured by the
>    proud contempt of self-sufficiency and with every verity distorted
>    out of all focus.  To push over the threshold alone, demands an
>    incessant, often unrequited labor of years, and once on the other
>    side of the entrance, the weary pilgrim has to toil up on foot, for
>    the narrow way leads to forbidding mountain heights, unmeasured and
>    unknown, save to those who have reached the cloud-capped summit
>    before.  Thus must he mount, step by step, having to conquer every
>    inch of ground before him by his own exertions; moving onward,
>    guided by strange landmarks the nature of which he can ascertain
>    only by deciphering the weather-beaten, half-defaced inscriptions
>    as he treads along, for woe to him, if, instead of studying them,
>    he sits by coolly pronouncing them "indecipherable."  The "Doctrine
>    of the Eye" is *maya*; that of the "Heart" alone, can make of him
>    an elect.
>         Is it to be wondered that so few reach the goal, that so many
>    are called, but so few are chosen?  Is not the reason for this
>    explained in three lines on page 27 of THE VOICE OF THE SILENCE?
>    These say that while "The first repeat in pride: `Behold, I
>    *know,*' the last, they who in humbleness have garnered, low
>    confess, `thus have I heard'"; and hence, become the only "chosen."

        It may be difficult to really understand Secret Doctrine.
Theoretical understanding may be no that difficult if one has normal mental
capacity and perseverance to study.

        Is it possible that the difficulty in having a real understanding
lies in the fact that the higher faculties and sensitiveness have not been
activated enough to see the underlying meanings and the connected scenario ?

        Is it possible that by active persevered practical application of
the simplest principle of Universal Brotherhood/Sisterhood/Sibling hood, one
may hope a day would come when the higher faculties are awakened and
sensitiveness increased so that the real Secret Doctrine become very easy to
comprehend?

        I am trying to make the connection because of the constant reference
by HPB to AP Sinnett that "the Chiefs want a Universal Brotherhood". They
did not definitely talk about turning out Secret Doctrine Scholars with
impressive certificates issued by PhDs.

        I have to admit that considering my level of knowledge and
understanding and ignorance, "the Chiefs" definitely knew 100 years ago what
was in store for the masses of humanity -- inhumanity of man/woman to man/woman.

        May be it is time for all of us to ponder and exchange our ideas and
thoughts on these fundamental issues which go a long way to affect a lot people.

        So much for now.

MK Ramadoss